DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See the attached picture. Installing an attached deck 12x21. The ledger board will obviously attach on the long wall. My question is about the outside joist under the sliding glass door will attach to the wall as well almost like another ledger. My question is whether the end of this joist where it attaches to the actual ledger board requires a joist hanger as well like all the other joists or its sufficient to have it simply attached to the wall of the house. I would think the wall of the house would be much stronger but not sure what code dictates. I'm in Virginia and using the 2009 code guidelines per my county but can't seem to get a real answer other than build it and see what the inspector says.

Thanks

David

Attachments

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Welcome! You said that the ledger will obviously attach to the house. Not obvious in my opinion. Posts, beams, then joists, with no attachment to the house is the only way that I would go. There are a number of members in Virginia here, so I am sure they can be more specific regarding the requirements, but that's my two cents worth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dexter. Ok maybe not obviously. In this case it will be an attached deck with the ledger on the long wall side.

David

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
I would only use a ledger on the long side, no need for a second on next to the sliding glass door. Of course you need to discuss this with the building inspector to make sure it is OK, but I don't see anything in the Prescriptive Residential Deck guide that would require a second ledger. If for some reason you want to use two ledgers, that would probably be OK, again talk to your building inspector first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Daniel,

I suppose it wouldn't really be a ledger that bears the typical weight of all the joists but rather just a more secure way of attaching the outer joist of the deck because of the way the walls of the house are.

Thanks for the reply.

David

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,290 Posts
You will need a rim joist under that door anyway.
What I would do is to install hidden posts on the short wall side, one in the corner, one at the outside corner of the house, And as many as needed to extend the deck out to your wanted width.

The one at the outside corner of the house and the other extending posts will need to be tall enough to put up a safety railing. But the one in the inside corner is to just hang the rim joist on, to support the floor, so only needs to be a few feet high, up to the rim joist height.

And put a few hidden posts in the middle of the deck floor as well, just to build it safe enough to hold up when a load (SIL, MIL, ) gets on it. :whistling2:

Looking forward to seeing a picture of the completed masterpiece.

ED

·
11,730 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Gary help me put with why safety glass? LOOKS like bottom more than 18" off of deck meaning only three of four criteria met?? Thanks! Ron

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Making some progress. Got the ledger attached and the outside joist thats under the sliding glass door is attached just like a ledger. Rented a 24 inch auger to dig the footer holes as the clay here is horrible to dig in (sticks to the shovel and spend more energy getting it off the shovel than digging). Code only requires 24 inch deep footers as we don't get a ton of cold weather (we went 30) but the footer closest to the house since it is within 5 feet of the foundation had to go deeper. I thought I was down deep enough but ended up failing my first footer inspection (he said 2 of the 3 were good) but the one closest to the house needed another 8 inches or so of digging. Basically how he tested it was stabbing the bottom of the hole with a piece of rebar to see how much it went in. So 45 minutes of standing in clay muck I dug out another 8 inches or so. I will say I'm actually glad i failed because there is a huge difference in how solid it feels with the extra couple inches of digging. So i rescheduled another inspection for the next day (luckily he didnt make me pay the re-inspection fee since he said it was a "partial pass" the first time). He had to take a look in the basement to verify that the ledger was attached to 2x material and not some engineered wood and that my ledger lock screw penetrated both the ledger and the house.

Although I didnt take a pic I have all the siding back on and trim around the glass door leaving about a 1 inch gap for the decking material. Pouring concrete tomorrow for the footers which has been delayed by rain and freezing temps for a couple days.

Attachments

·
11,730 Posts
Just threw it out there in case you needed it, hard to see from here 18-16", lol. Sorry, I should have said "may" need SG.

On another note; are those fasteners I see at the top of the flashing, is there any house wrap or building paper under the siding, that should be over the flashing...?

Gary- and Welcome to the forums!
PS You MAY need the footings as deep as the house's, only those within 5' of it; IF under the Deck Code: page #13; http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think what you're asking is if you see fasteners on the dark gray ledger flashing? There are roofing/siding nails every few feet holding the flashing on. The house is completely wrapped under that and the siding comes down all the way to the ledger over the ledger flashing. You might be able to see closer to the corner what I'm talking about with the siding back in place.

·
11,730 Posts
If there is a house wrap, it should be in front of the flashing to direct water out over the ledger board rather than behind the flashing (limited drip space; "drain the water away" http://www.buildingscience.com/docu...and-hydrostatic-pressure?searchterm=hockey+pu) for water to saturate your wall sheathing and possibly find a way under the sill plate at concrete foundation wall joint. The flashing it to stop/direct water behind the siding, OVER the ledger board.

Gary

1 - 12 of 12 Posts