DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building a 16'x20'wide deck, 6 feet above ground level. Using 6x6s for deck posts. Deck posts will be buried min 5' underground and sit on a concrete pad (below frost line). My question is...is there any reason that I should not run my deck posts through the deck, up 3' and use for railing posts?

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
Well.... a couple of considerations...

How you plan to set your substructure/beams...

You'd want to be dead on vertical and in line....

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
That's how I did my last two decks. I used 4 X 4 posts and set them every 6 feet around the perimeter. But I was going around a pool. In a straight run I would have gone every 8 feet. Here in the mid-west, we only need to set posts 2 feet in the ground.

Attachments

·
Naildriver
10,644 Posts
And don't bury your posts. Make your footing pours to a couple of inches above grade, install Post bases and start from there with your posts. Yes, running the posts through the deck and using them as newel posts is a great idea. Much more stable. As MTN REMODEL LLC said, make sure your spacing is good and they are vertical.

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
And don't bury your posts. Make your footing pours to a couple of inches above grade, install Post bases and start from there with your posts. Yes, running the posts through the deck and using them as newel posts is a great idea. Much more stable. As MTN REMODEL LLC said, make sure your spacing is good and they are vertical.
When post is mounted on post base what prevents the post from wobbling?

·
Naildriver
10,644 Posts
It is tied to the post base in 8 places plus into the concrete, and the sheer design of the deck, joists, decking will keep it stable

·
Naildriver
10,644 Posts

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
You can also use embedded galvanized post brackets, that is how I did my deck. The posts can rotate even with 8 nails holding them to the bracket, so you need diagonal bracing on the deck to keep it from moving. All this is clearly explained with drawings and commentary in the Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide, available here at no charge http://www.awc.org/codes-standards/publications/dca6

·
journeyman carpenter
3,480 Posts
another option is to use just the 6x6 for carrying the beams down to concrete piers... but keep the beam back 12" from the edge of the deck..

from there you can use 4x4s which act as both the hand rail and continue down through the deck framing to about 2" above grade. by doing this you create a something that you can faster 2x4s to horizontall under the deck so to have a nailing base for skirting be it either lattice or fence boards

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
My choice of skirting. Employed woodworkbykirk's idea for the skirting. 2 X 4's horizontally and 1 X 6 fence boards vertically.

Attachments

Reactions: lenaitch

·
Registered
180 Posts
You'll need way more posts for your railings than you will for supporting your deck beams. Your deck beams should bear on TOP of your posts and not be bolted to the sides. With a 2-ply or 3-ply beam, you can't really continue the posts up vertically if there is a beam on top of them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts