DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I'm new to this forum. I have several questions about deck painting. I took some pictures for you to see. My deck is 5 years old. It's 16 x 20 with 2 stairs. I'm not going to bother with free estimate for painting deck because I know that with inflation, the price is ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in 2-3k range when I can do it myself for only $500.

Last time I use stain paint was about 4 years ago and now the painting is starting to come off on the floor. I believe the best way to take it off is using high pressure washer. I will need to buy it since it's good to own it. Do you know the best brand that I can buy?

Do I need to use power washer on railings or leave it alone since it looks good, no painting coming off or I still need to do it no matter what?

Once all painting comes off, is it necessary to paint with deck coat or I can just paint with solid stain color paint? Which is the best solid color stain paint - I assume Behr or vascpa? to get the best result and last longer, I will need to do 2 coats?

Attachments

·
Registered
673 Posts
Clean all surfaces.
Horizontal surfaces will deteriorate faster than vertical surfaces.

If you are happy with what you used before... use it again.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I'm not a fan of painting decks, since they peel and create more work when recoating time rolls around. For an old deck, a solid body stain is generally my preference. But, if this is newer wood, you could likely go with a semi-transparent stain. I buy paints and associated products at paint stores, not in paint departments.

·
retired painter
13,125 Posts
Using a pressure washer to strip the paint isn't a good idea. Too much pressure can damage the wood and often requires sanding to get the wood back into decent shape. I'd use a pump up garden sprayer to apply the cleaning solution and use a pressure washer to rinse. That will remove most/all loose stain/paint. No need to remove well adhered stain to apply another coat of solid deck stain.

·
Registered
12 Posts
well Power washing a deck is a quick and efficient way to get it ready for painting or staining, but it isn't a necessary prerequisite. In fact, in some situations, it isn't even a good idea, because power washing can chip and gouge wood.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well Power washing a deck is a quick and efficient way to get it ready for painting or staining, but it isn't a necessary prerequisite. In fact, in some situations, it isn't even a good idea, because power washing can chip and gouge wood.
Okay, since it's not good idea. Is there another option that I can take old painting off like using paint sander?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One more - is Valspar Solid Exterior Wood and Sealer good brand to get? It says 10 years guarantee! Do i need to paint 2 coats for everything (the floor, railing, stairs, etc.)

·
retired painter
13,125 Posts
Aggressive pressure washing isn't good for a deck [or siding]. Proper use of a pressure washer can be a good aid in cleaning a deck. If it's stain and not paint, a stain stripper will remove the old stain - might take multiple applications but there really isn't a need to remove well adhered stain. 2 coats almost always wears better than 1.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts