DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I want to change deck mounted 8inch wide faucet on my whirlpool bathtub. Plumber is asking for $750 for change to new one kohler brand faucet. Is he asking correct amount for this kind of repair job. Please give valuable suggestions. Thanks in advance

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Not enough information----

Is there an access panel close enough to replace the faucet without tearing up the tile work?

Those typically take about 2 hours to install in new construction---much longer in old work where access is restricted.

Those faucets are rather expensive----so more info and your location would be needed to even offer a guess.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Need a picture of the side of the deck below the faucet----Is there an access panel?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh'mike said:
Need a picture of the side of the deck below the faucet----Is there an access panel?
There is access panel behind the tub but need to make it bigger by cutting Sheetrock . There is no tile no hard wall just Sheetrock only.

·
Premium Member
11,949 Posts
Have you gotten other bids? 750 may not be bad. Sometimes it takes 2guys for this job

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm not a plumber and I don't write bids but I did install my own roman tub filler.

Look at the price of Kohler roman tub fillers at a big box store and you will see that the cheap ones are at least $200 and that doesn't include the valves which will cost you another $100. So, for faucet material alone, you are already over $300 and that is for the cheaper end of the faucets.

It looks like you will also have drywall costs, paint costs, and then the time it takes for the plumber to complete the job. If he has to repair drywall, it might take more than one trip because he has to wait for the mud to dry between coats.

Why don't you try it yourself? It isn't that hard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts