DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the middle of building new deck.. 12 ' 24 '

Ledger nicely bolted to CBS wall and 6 x 6 posts in ground.

Using a water level it seems the ledger is down about 1 1/4 "
at one end compared to the middle. Crud.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to remedy the situation short
of replacing the ledger.

Should I shim the low end of the ledger ?
Make the low end of the ledger the high point and drop the remainder of the joists to compensate ?
Install the joists above the ledger at the low end to compensate ?
Don't worry about ? I don't like this too much because then at one end
of the deck it'll slope towards the house. But maybe that's not such
a bad thing.

Suggestions / Ideas appreciated !

Jon

·
Super Moderator
12,620 Posts
one end
of the deck it'll slope towards the house. But maybe that's not such
a bad thing.
Sloping the deck towards the house “is” a bad thing.

Remove the ledger and do it right.

Redoing your mistakes is a good learning tool.

·
Carpenter
113 Posts
You are building the deck and the ledger board is out of level. I will assume there are other circumstances that dictate its location and moving it is not an option and you already thought of that.

Are you using joist hangers to attach the deck joist to the ledger board? if so, just install the joist hangers level. A little trim work can hide the imperfection.

Or, mark a level line across the top, set the depth of your circular saw and cut it level. If the ledger board is large enough that it will not be structurally effected when it loses over an inch of wood at one end.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
There are a number of ways to double check the issue. I'd do that before anything else.
Is this structure going to be inspected for code compliance?

·
11,730 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
You are building the deck and the ledger board is out of level. I will assume there are other circumstances that dictate its location and moving it is not an option and you already thought of that.

Are you using joist hangers to attach the deck joist to the ledger board? if so, just install the joist hangers level. A little trim work can hide the imperfection.

Or, mark a level line across the top, set the depth of your circular saw and cut it level. If the ledger board is large enough that it will not be structurally effected when it loses over an inch of wood at one end.

Bo

Remember,
(Red Green)
Nice I like the way you :thumbsup:solve problems.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Bo

Remember,
(Red Green)

Thank you for those constructive suggestions.

I wouldn't say moving the sloping section is out of the question but a good alternative solution is preferred of course. If not because of the work involved, which I'm not opposed to, but there is also the idea of putting more holes in the CBS especially if a good solution makes sense. The only slight issue with dropping the ledger by trimming the high side is that there is already little clearance below the 2x8 joists so any dropping would reduce the air flow. If anything I'd rather raise the low side of the ledger then dropping the high side.

I do plan on using joist hangers at both ends of the joists. So setting the joist hangers level across the ledger is a reasonably good idea ? I'm planning to put the joists 12" O.C to allow for angled decking.

What pitfalls might I encounter wit this approach ?

Again, Than you all

Jon

·
Not so new
969 Posts
...well, I'm having a hard time with this one. As those who have been here for a while will agree, if it had been a contractor who had put the ledger up 1 1/4" out of level in 12' then this would be a "my contractor's doing a bad job" thread. All advise you would have gotten would have been "dont pay him till he fixes it" or something along that line.

Now I realize this is DIY, and its your house, but as a contrctor I could never let something like that go and would certainly remove the ledger, snap a straight, LEVEL line and do it again.

Hard lesson learned, but learned non the less.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I agree with 12penny.
I know every time I stepped on that deck I'd look at the ledger and kick myself for not fixing it. How to do it easily, safely, and aesthetically is a challenge and some of the ideas posted may work for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with 12penny.
I know every time I stepped on that deck I'd look at the ledger and kick myself for not fixing it. How to do it easily, safely, and aesthetically is a challenge and some of the ideas posted may work for you.
Yea, I have that same thought.
Anyone think my concern regarding extra holes in the CBS is warranted ?

I'm thinking the reasonable options are

1) Remove/replace section of ledger. Concern here is extra holes.
2) Adjust joist hangers to compensate. Concern here is not really right.
3) Doesn't sound like anyone thinks shimming the ledger is a viable option??

Jon

·
11,730 Posts
Please don't ever do this: "You can always bolt a new ledger over the old one." This would prove dangerous, changing the shear loads on the joists/ledger connection. The flashing should extend on to the joists, as per Deck Code.

You will notice double ledgers are not allowed, even adding washers on the bolts change the shear loads.
This should be required reading for all box store employees dealing with the public:http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
If you rehang the ledger, I would keep the new bolt holes at least 6" away from the old ones.
Mix up a small batch of mortar and fill the old bolt holes.

·
185 Posts
Please don't ever do this: "You can always bolt a new ledger over the old one." This would prove dangerous, changing the shear loads on the joists/ledger connection. The flashing should extend on to the joists, as per Deck Code.

You will notice double ledgers are not allowed, even adding washers on the bolts change the shear loads.
This should be required reading for all box store employees dealing with the public:http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf

"This document is not intended to preclude the use of alternative methods and materials" DCA6

Would it also prove dangerous making more and more penetrations in the same ROW of the hollow block wall?

In the middle of building new deck.. 12 ' 24 '

Ledger nicely bolted to CBS wall and 6 x 6 posts in ground

Re attaching at the previous penetration would not be acceptable.
What is the expansion anchor schedule right now and what would it new attachment change that to every 6-8" counting the previous ones.

Holes every 6-8" in the same row of the cinder block wall with 3-1/2" embedment? Is that over 50% of the block?

How strong is that row of block going to hold a new ledger?

Filling old holes with grout?
That would be just a surface fill not a cell fill. To fill a cell you would need a bigger hole.

Ask your local inspector what does he think about drilling more holes.

·
Framing Contractor
1,758 Posts
Yea, I have that same thought.
Anyone think my concern regarding extra holes in the CBS is warranted ?

I'm thinking the reasonable options are

1) Remove/replace section of ledger. Concern here is extra holes.
2) Adjust joist hangers to compensate. Concern here is not really right.
3) Doesn't sound like anyone thinks shimming the ledger is a viable option??

Jon
Why don't you call your building inspector and ask him/her. How about answering the question that was asked....are you getting permits and inspections?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll try to draw the pattern.
This facility doesn't like multiple spaces/blanks :(

X________ X _____X_______ X

X ____X ______X _____X ____X

I think you'll get the gist. Spacing for the staggered anchors are
less then 28" which is a bit closer then code. If I were to replace
the ledger my thinking is to fill the existing holes and alternate the
staggering relative to the existing holes but problem is the end anchors.

Simply raising the joist hangers also causes issues with the tops of the
hangers not nailed into anything.

I don't think anyone has commented on shimming. What would do you think of a combination of shimming and of course raising the joist hangers to a level point ? The challenge here would be attaching a shim(s).

Thank you all,
Jon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts