DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking to install a deck on the side of a house but the level of the ledger will be above that of the rim joist of the house, so I'd be securing the ledger to the siding. That's not to code or safe, so what should I do?

I thought of attaching several lengths of lumber at the level of the house joist and place the ledger ontop of that, and attaching the two together with either a Simpson strong tie metal plate of some kind, or by screwing more lengths of lumber across the two pieces.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Will your joists sit on top of it making it a true ledger or will the joists butt into it making it a header joist?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will your joists sit on top of it making it a true ledger or will the joists butt into it making it a header joist?
They'll butt into it, so the joists will be connected to it with hangers, so a header joist as you describe it.

·
retired framer
44,164 Posts
so I'd be securing the ledger to the siding. No, hell no.

Why is the deck above the floor?

how much above the floor is it?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so I'd be securing the ledger to the siding. No, hell no.
Agreed.

Why is the deck above the floor?
Grade behind the house is higher than the house rim joist. There is a 4' retaining wall about 3 ' away from the house, the deck will go over that wall, and the top of that wall is higher than the house floor.

how much above the floor is it?
About 10"

·
retired framer
44,164 Posts
I saw your other thread too. can you post some pictures of the sight.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw your other thread too. can you post some pictures of the sight.
This is the only one I have on hand currently, the house is on the left, and the new 4' retaining wall can be seen approx 3' offset from it, retaining what will become a lawn.

2020-02-02 12.56.12.jpg

·
Registered
740 Posts
Same situation with my house although the deck was anywhere from 2 feet to 10 feet above grade. I put in additional footings to support a beam along the side of the house and connect the joists into the sides of the beam.

There was the cost of the beam and more posts and some more concrete but in the overall scheme of things it did not add more time to the project and only a couple hundred dollars in material costs. It is important to add bracing, either cross bracing or knee bracing so that the deck cannot move sideways with any lateral loading.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
They'll butt into it, so the joists will be connected to it with hangers, so a header joist as you describe it.
A rim joist (band joist, header joist) is in the same plane as the joists. Typically the ends of the joists are hung on it with joist hangers.
A ledger is below the joists and the joists sit on top of it.
So if you put a ledger on your rim joist your deck joists can sit on top of it? Or are your proposed joists substantially above it?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A rim joist (band joist, header joist) is in the same plane as the joists. Typically the ends of the joists are hung on it with joist hangers.
A ledger is below the joists and the joists sit on top of it.
So if you put a ledger on your rim joist your deck joists can sit on top of it? Or are your proposed joists substantially above it?
Ah! OK, I see what you mean, that would work. And I guess connect them with a hurricane tie? Like this: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTUt7kxBDZE3nW48ktEkRTb7vFsyWeDcunD97E76Xmh-sPa9Kyi

1 - 12 of 12 Posts