DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to build a very simple 3x3ft gate for my deck. The top, bottom, and sides will be 2x4's and in between will be 1x1's to match the style of my deck rails.

Two questions:

1) What spacing should I leave on the hinge side and on the latch side? It's going to be made of painted spruce and go through temperatures from -30C(-22F) to +30C(86F). I don't want to build it too tight and have it warp or twist and not latch properly later. The posts it's going to be attached to are painted pressure treated however I've seen these completely twist before in the area.

2) Will I need to reinforce the gate at all or will the 5 or so 1x1's in between the top and bottom plates be stable enough to make this small gate rigid?

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
I usually build them with the 2x4s on the flat and use a half lap joint. PL premium glue and screws into the joint.

Larger gates get a 45* brace from the bottom on the hinge side.---Mike---

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Code calls for less than 4" space between spindles.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Code calls for less than 4" space between spindles.
Sorry I meant the spacing between the post and the gate vertically(not the spindles). I don't want the gate to rub the posts on either the latch side or the hinge side if the wood bents/wraps/etc over time so I want to leave the right amount of space.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'd leave about 3/8 on each side. I also incorporate a turnbuckle because it WILL sag. Why are you using spruce?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd leave about 3/8 on each side. I also incorporate a turnbuckle because it WILL sag. Why are you using spruce?
The builder used spruce for the railings and painted them. The rest of the deck is pressure treated. I guess I could use PT for the gate but I don't want to wait a year to paint it to match.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, I passed on the turn buckle. The gate is light weight enough that it sags less than 1/8". If it worsens I'll incorporate it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts