DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fairly sizable two-level deck with the upper level going 50% around an octagon shaped above ground pool. I stain the flooring every year, the deck gets very high use between April and November. After 7 years I needed to start repairing boards…now at 9 years, I replaced 16 deck boards and put rustoleum restore on the deck, it is terrible. What are my options? A trex floor is out of the question b/c I would want to do railings too and far to expensive at over $20K for 800 sq/ft + railings, etc. Is there another covering product? teak interlock flooring? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
37,225 Posts
There is no way to just cover over it.
Trex would be my last choice for a composite deck.
Why would the railings need to be done at the same time as the decking?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Unfortunately I'm not surprised to hear, I was hoping someone had thoughts on the deck tile type applications. Regarding the composite material, not doing the railings would cause issue if/when I would want to given my railing posts are currently on the outside vs. inside of my beams making it difficult after the fact with composite and would still require continued maintenance. I live in NH and the elements are tough on wood, especially today's pressure treated materials.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Tony, I'm curious what you don't like about the Restore product. Was considering doing my own deck with it.

Joe - what's bad about Trex? What's your preferred composite product?

·
Registered
37,225 Posts
I'm from NH.
Both of you need to do a little more research.
Tony please post some pictures of your deck. There no reason the post covers can not be cut to fit around your post.
Google Trex recalls.
They had issues with mold, cracking, complete failures with people falling through the decking.

·
Registered
43 Posts
By removing the dirt and grime, you are better able to assess necessary repairs. Mix one quart household bleach, 1/3 cup powdered laundry detergent and three quarts warm water to remove dirt, mildew and weathered wood.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Overall, from the research I did in 2012 and 2013 I thought this was going to be a great product and solve my issues without having to put down a new floor (e.g. composite). After a full day of prep the weekend before, I got to work putting it down. I took my time and put on two coats over two days. It looked great. I have stained and unstained boards the material went on. There have been numerous warm sunny days where the flooring has been very warm and the material appears to be rock hard. 18 days after application we had a wind storm, a deck chair tipped over, blew across the floor and chipped the floor in 3 spots. No other loose material in that area….but far to expense to chip on a chair blowing over (just figure what would/will happen with a person in the chair moving out from a table). In other instances, in the last few days I have also had chipping on new wood (seasoned for 6 months) and old decking (cleaned) where the material just pulls up. I called Rust-Oleum and am going through "tests" e.g. water tests on stained areas, and yes the water soaks into the wood just fine, in a matter of minutes so the paint should as well. Here is a pic of the overall deck and a close up of one of the areas where I'm having problems. I really do wish the product worked….this is going to be far more expense for me at this point.

Attachments

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,577 Posts
Wow.... That's more than chipping..... that's flakeing.

I've personnally used it on concrete as a resurfacer and it has performed great (Co harsh conditions).

I've seen it used on alot of our decks, and seen plenty of chipping (and crappy application) but never that kind of peeling/flaking.

As cost is a material consideration, are you sure that continued repair/repainting/patching is not a feasable solution..... your deck does look nice from the distant picture.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Attached is a bbq canopy….does anyone know where I could acquire such a canopy. I think I'm going to go with composite and this would be great over the grill. This was on the Azek site, but this is not their product (I called). Thanks.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts