DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone - Newbie looking for some best practice or suggestions on attaching a 2x6 cedar rail to a 4x4 Cedar post on my deck. I'm basically replacing the existing footprint of the deck and would prefer not to use a metal bracket. Currently the rails are toe-nailed into the post - My concern is that I'm going to split the ends with my framing-nailer. I recently caught a youtube where someone used screws and identified the location of the screw on the rails prior to installing the rail.... I'm just wondering if there are any tips & tricks someone might be able to share. Appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
I use my Kreg tool and 3" long decking screws.
Looks like those post and rails should have been replaced long ago.
I'd at least cut off that rotted top on the post and add some form of post cap to top the rotting.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes - the deck reconditioning was way overdue. Everything has been re-supported and all posts and rails are being replaced. I will put caps on the posts too. Thanks !

I'm not familiar with the Kreg tool - I've used fasteners for the rails that connected straight to the post and I'm considering my options for the one rail that connects on a 45 degree angle to the post. I'll be dealing with that in the next few days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.