DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a synthetic (Trex) deck that is about 80% in shade. Over the winter it collects dirt and mildew like gangbusters. I have no complaint about the product; the wood deck it replaced did the same thing.

The deck looks like new after I pressure wash it. My gripe: pressure washing takes a LONG TIME.

The home centers are full of products promising to clean decks. They all sound about the same --- loosen stubborn deposits with brush, spray on product, wash off with clean water, GOOD AS NEW! They all come in plastic containers and all cost about the same. My experience with many cleaning products in this category over the years is that the product delivers much less than the advertising promises.

Is anyone familiar with a product that conceivably might clean the deck with less total time spent than pressure washing?

·
Registered
10,718 Posts
Good as new, or anything close is a high standard. With a big deck, it takes time regardless of the method used.

I have yet to find a product that out performs a pressure washer, if you expect the same standard of cleanliness from it. Particularly with mildew, leaf, or other stains developed over the winter.

My open deck takes more time than my deck with roof, despite the roofed one being larger.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
The chemicals will not get rid of the stains, but they will make the pressure washing go much faster and give you a better result. It's a 2 step process.

I have a surface cleaner attachment that is awesome on concrete. It goes much faster and no streaking. That may or may not damage the Trex, depending on the PSI, I guess. But that is something else to look into.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Power-Care-15-in-Gas-Surface-Cleaner-AEZ31023/203105727

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
I have used both the Penofin and the Messmers cleaners on my hardwood deck. Both are Sodium Percobonate based. Both are excellent and really pull the old debris/pollen/etc out of the wood. Unfortunately, the videos with the guy simply moving a broom back and forth to apply it is BS. To apply it, you really need to get down on your hands and knees and scrub with a stiff brush. Small brush for the railing spindles. It should be making an almost green slime when its working --- if it doesn't, you are not scrubbing hard enough.

It works very well, and will not damage wood like pressure washing can, but doubt its less work.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The chemicals will not get rid of the stains, but they will make the pressure washing go much faster and give you a better result. It's a 2 step process.

I have a surface cleaner attachment that is awesome on concrete. It goes much faster and no streaking. That may or may not damage the Trex, depending on the PSI, I guess. But that is something else to look into.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Power-Care-15-in-Gas-Surface-Cleaner-AEZ31023/203105727
That's a good tip for the concrete. I have a similar lengthy process with the pressure washer on the Sundek textured coating around my pool. Texture is great --- looks good, easy on the feet, but it is the perfect home for dirt and grime.

I wouldn't use it on the Trex --- I always want to see exactly what is going on and adjust accordingly. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.