DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

My deck is 28'x16'.

The deck is About 3" away from the side of my house (bump out) I made a last minute design change in which I want to lay picture frame around the border of my deck.

But in order to do this I need to sister a 2x10 joist to the outside of the frame so that the 3" would go down to 1.5" gap and the AZEK boards could run along the border.

If i install the 2x10 on only ONE side of the deck frame. Will my deck now be out of square?

If you need i originally planed to run all the boards the same direction as the house. but now that I want to do picture frame I need to run two rows of boards along the edge of the frame and the 3" gap and overhang isnt working for the 5.5" decking boards.

I attached a picture so hopefully that will help

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
If your deck was squared to start with, adding a two bye ten....or three or four......won't throw the diagonals out of whack. it WILL, however, throw off any measurements if you were working from that end to have your joints end up at 16" on center.

·
Usually Confused
6,547 Posts
You deck is already out-of-square - it's a rectangle. If I understand correctly, you intend to have a double header on one side. I can't see how that will affect your structure unless I'm missing something. Our deck is pictureframed with 2 rows of contrasting composite decking. One width side is 3 rows because the length of the deck slightly exceeded the available board length. Haven't noticed since.

·
General contractor/carpen
13,397 Posts
All my decks get picture framed. I ladder block the sides that run parrellel to the joists. Like the picture below.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your deck was squared to start with, adding a two bye ten....or three or four......won't throw the diagonals out of whack. it WILL, however, throw off any measurements if you were working from that end to have your joints end up at 16" on center.

Okay thanks.
The OC measurements I am not concerned with as I have 20ft deck boards going across the joists. thanks again

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A deck isn't necessarily out of square because it's a rectangle. Being in square, means the right angles are mathematically square, using the Pythagorean theorem.

for the picture frame on the left side i need to close the 3" gap so i wasn't sure if a triple rim on one side and double on the other would throw the diagonals off.

thanks again.

long time reader and everyone on here really helps out a lot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You deck is already out-of-square - it's a rectangle. If I understand correctly, you intend to have a double header on one side. I can't see how that will affect your structure unless I'm missing something. Our deck is pictureframed with 2 rows of contrasting composite decking. One width side is 3 rows because the length of the deck slightly exceeded the available board length. Haven't noticed since.
exactly what i am doing and thank you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts