DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ranch home with a full finished basement. I saw what looked like a tail sticking out of the wall register which is at floor level. We removed the register to find what looked like a family of dead mice!! Sooo not cool. There were approximately 7 deceased critters. Clean-up has been done, but now I'm wondering what happened and if there are more. Why didn't they crawl out the same way they got in?

I've been in the house for almost 2 years and I've only did chemical pest control for spiders, bugs outside. I had a squirrel family in my wall this summer, but critter control took care of that with traps. They also sealed up "all" found possible entry points. At that time only 1 mouse trapped in the attic.

I've noticed some insulation and droppings on the floor in my furnace room and in another storage area in the basement there's insulation on the floor.

Is there a product I can spray on the insulation as a form of rodent repellent/poison? I have some snap traps I plan to put down also. I think I should check the other registers, but my stomach isn't ready for it 😷🥴

Recommendations appreciated on how to treat the insulation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
I found a dead mouse in my basement. Then I started looking and found droppings. Then I looked behind insulation and found something so nasty that I ended up ripping everything down to the bare studs. Once that was done, I found the hole in the foundation where they were getting in.

There’s no ‘quick fix’ for mice. You have to be very thorough and agressive.

Great Stuff makes a rodent resistant foam. I patched all the known holes with that.
Then I nuked by basement with an arsenal of baits and traps and kept at it until they were all gone.
I vacuumed everything with a HEPA filter equipped vacuum cleaner. Note: Mouse urine and feces are a biological nightmare. I had to wear a tyvek hazmat suit and a respirator to clean all that up.
Once that was done, I sprayed everything down with a hospital grade disinfectant.
Now everything is getting built back, re-covered, and painted and restored.

Those mice cost me $5,000.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top