DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Startingover I see your location is central Florida is that where your daughter is also ? I lived in Orlando for 18 years and as you know the AC works 11 months out of the year . Drain maintenance is a must as it is VERY easy for drain lines to get clogged with mildew/mold/crud . An AC tech gave me a large bottle of " drain pills " and he stated to place one in the drain line every month .

The pill would break down as condensation water went past it and clean the line . He told me that chlorine/vinegar were too acidic and could create a gas that hurts metallic components . I have no idea if that is true or not but I used the pills monthly and never had an issue . Good for your daughter to DIY :biggrin2:

·
Premium Member
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Porsche, Interesting. I’ll ask the guy who installed her new AC as I’ve decided I should call him to probably have a maintenance check done on mine. The man who installed mine I really liked but he was killed in an accident.

We’re about 30 miles from Orlando. She lives 1 mile from me. Houses are a lot of work to maintain.

Her drain line was easy to locate. We don’t know where mine is but I’ll post a photo later and maybe someone will know.

I like Orlando and never had trouble driving but theres I-4 construction with ramp changes and overhead lanes and things change overnight so its a mess driving there now. Eventually it will alleviate congestion.

Yes, its great seeing how she's learned to do things and one handy exsmple was adjusting bi-fold doors since she has 6 closets with them.

·
Premium Member
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Roughneck, im embarrassed ti say I never noticed the word FILTER at bottom on air handler. I assume I take those screws out and will see a filter? Its 7 yrs old but I saved paperwork so will look for recommendation filter size.

When you mentioned filter in your first post I thought it was return air fultee which we each keep clean. mines near floor an easy

Daughter has 3 return air filters All on ceiling an not so easy to change but we think they’re on ceiling cause AH is in attic

Do all air handlers have a filter in the mechanical part?

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
They are usually delivered with some sort of filter.
You need to open the unit up and clean it every so often. If the air handler hasn’t been opened in 7 years it’s due for a maintenance and cleaning.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
@Startingover, How do you change your filter?

If you look on the right side, there was a leak and you can see the trail of dried water.

Around the cut out on the left side, where the copper line and the wrapped line comes out, there is quite a bit of mold growing. That is also where the condensate line is coming out. It is probably the copper line, but it seems small. Can you see around the backside?

When was the last time it was serviced?

You should have it serviced soon. When they come to service it, have them make sure that the drain line is open and that it can cleaned by you regularly. And that it is of sufficient size. And that the catch basin isn't rusted out.

·
Premium Member
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ktown, The back side is my hall wall. No way to see it. Good grief, my door into house is next to it so I walk past a dzn times a day and never looked. Plus I have a clothes drying rack in garage near it. I will definitely call today an at least get an estimate for service.

(Never been serviced)

Thks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts