DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I'm running data lines (coax, cat5, audio etc) as I've mentioned in other threads and I got the NEC 2008 handbook (the more pages one) and it seems to be not specific about data lines. or at least the pages it points to talk about industrial settings, so, what are the rules on data lines and/or where can I find the pertinent ones?

many thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
low voltage (like what you are doing) is not controled by the NEC.

When i do mine i still use the same rule of thumb for stapeling. However you can use the "low voltage" boxes (no backs on them)

·
Do work
147 Posts
low voltage (like what you are doing) is not controled by the NEC.

When i do mine i still use the same rule of thumb for stapeling. However you can use the "low voltage" boxes (no backs on them)
You shouldn't be stapling data cable. The cable should be supported, not stapled.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Some other handy tips when running low voltage (communication) wire.

You should not run communictaion wire through the same holes or right next to regular voltage wires(120/240).

Cross regular voltage wires at 90 degrees and i argee with liquid low volatge wire should not be stapled.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sorry i didnt mean with like a stapler.. i meant using a cable support of somesort (ie like the plastic hold downs that you use for romex with the nails)

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
and why is stapling a problem? as long as you use the right staples and they are properly installed, I see no problem with stapling.

and do note the shoulders on those staples so they cannot be over driven onto the cable. The simple U shaped staples I would stay away from as those can easily be over driven and pinch the cable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts