DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to replace my old Spanish barrel tile roof and am looking into a darker flat, concrete tile. I was wondering about how much, if any, it would raise the heat level inside my house? I assume since it's a dark charcoal color, it will bring in more heat. The question is, is it significant? This will play a role in my utility bills. I'm in S. Florida so I want to keep the attraction of heat to a minimum.

·
Usually Confused
9,838 Posts
If you search 'roof colour and house temperature' you will get a number of returns. In a typical NA house there are a lot of variables including ceiling insulation and attic ventilation, as opposed to the impact on a simple box.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
A light color will reflect heat and a dark color will absorb heat. How much of that heat gets in your house depends on insulation, ventilation, etc. A light color will look dirty faster and will need more frequent washing. Tough call. I would evaluate insulation and ventilation, upgrade if necessary, and get the dark color you like.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will definitely look at insulation and ventilation. Just wondering if my bills will go up significantly going from an orange tile roof to a dark gray. I'm assuming the heat management technology of the flat tiles, since they're newer, would help offset some of the increase.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
If you have decent insulation and ventilation I doubt that any difference will be noticed. If you have no insulation and ventilation, your attic and ceilings will be a big broiler.

Reactions: Missouri Bound

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
Are you prepared to add insulation to your attic if it makes your home warmer?
If the color of the roof makes a difference, you do not have proper attic insulation and/or ventilation.....which should be addressed anyway.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Will definitely look at insulation and ventilation. Just wondering if my bills will go up significantly going from an orange tile roof to a dark gray. I'm assuming the heat management technology of the flat tiles, since they're newer, would help offset some of the increase.
Might you explain what is the above highlited ?

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Agree not much difference. For notable difference, only clean white counts. I don't know anything about those kind of roof tiles. Would material make any difference? Clay vs cement? Barrel vs flat? Maybe barrel allowed more air movement? Is there weight difference? Finished space below or empty attic? To be safe, you may want to plan ahead for power venting or such.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agree not much difference. For notable difference, only clean white counts. I don't know anything about those kind of roof tiles. Would material make any difference? Clay vs cement? Barrel vs flat? Maybe barrel allowed more air movement? Is there weight difference? Finished space below or empty attic? To be safe, you may want to plan ahead for power venting or such.
Great idea....Thanks! I'm thinking more of it depends on insulation and air movement.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Looks like concrete roof tiles are a great idea. Last a very long time and are energy efficient.

Last a 100 years, I think the issue might be nail corrosion. So use SS or copper nails maybe if you want it to last more than 100 years?
Concrete Roof Tiles Guide - ConcreteHomes.com
#4 – Energy Efficiency
Energy efficiency is always a concern for homeowners, especially with rising heating costs. Concrete is a great material for energy efficiency, and there’s a reason that these tiles are used extensively in hot climates.

Concrete reflects more heat than most roofing materials.

Heat reflection means that the interior of the home remains at a cooler, more comfortable temperature. In hot climates, the savings on cooling costs are going to help owners recuperate some of the costs of installing the roof.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts