DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound strange, but at about 8:30 PM every night, sometimes 820, sometimes 835, but always right around 830, one of the lamps in our family room flickers for about eight to 10 seconds. There are no appliances or anything else in our home that come on at 8:30 PM every night so we have no idea what is causing this. And it is not the street light outside because that comes on earlier. Tonight instead of flickering the lamp actually went dark about three times and then came back on. It is a lamp with a dimmabke LED bulb on a dimmer switch. We are concerned that there is an electrical problem in the home but we see no other signs other than just this single lamp at night . please help !

·
1,081 Posts
Is this a table or desk lamp plugged into a receptacle that has a dimmer on it? That is not good for anything else plugged in on this circuit.

Some bulbs and dimmers are just not compatible even though the packaging says they are.

·
Super Moderator
20,917 Posts
Plug the lamp in direct and see what happens. Plug a different lamp in the dimmer in a different socket.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
In one of your previous posts you said you were replacing a switch, and in the course of the thread you described it as one of 2 switches that operates a kitchen light. From the looks of it, one of the posters said that it looks like the wires were installed using the push-in method.

I would say that one possibility is that your wires are connected this way at the receptacle where the lamp is plugged in, but it doesn't seem like that would account for something happening around 8:30 PM...

I also saw from other threads your house is in Boise Idaho. I looked up sunset time, and tonight sunset is around 8:24 PM. I'm wondering if you have something nocturnal living in your attic, maybe bats for example, and they might be disturbing wires that are already loose. It might account for this event happening around 8:30 PM.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow I never even thought of that, but it makes sense considering time of sunset. Thing is I don't see how they could get out of attic ? No openings. Now I am really concerned. Not sure what to do ....

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Well, attic critters are usually kept out by screens in the vents but over time they can find their way in. You'd think if you had bats though then you could catch them going out at night to feed. Just trying to think outside the box of any possibilities that might be related to the timing.

It's basically going to come down to some sort of loose connection, whether it's from a push connection, a critter chewing on wires or something internal to the lamp. Have you learned anything from trying the lamp in a different plug or anything yet?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK so we removed the dimmer from the plug, and plugged the lamp directly into the wall, and there was no flickering last night. so that seems to have solved the flickering problem, however we are still at a loss as to why that was happening at around 8:30 PM every night. do you think perhaps there is a power surge drop the whole neighborhood as the streetlights come on? Or something along those lines? And perhaps normally you would not be able to detect it unless you had one of these dimmers plugged in?

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
I've been following along.
You said "do you think perhaps there is a power surge drop the whole neighborhood as the streetlights come on? Or something along those lines? And perhaps normally you would not be able to detect it unless you had one of these dimmers plugged in?"

Correct but not really a surge (or drop) but a fluctuation probably well within normal tolerances, but dimmers and LEDs have proven they are very sensitive to any fluctuations. You could try other dimmers or bulbs and perhaps find a combination that doesn't flicker, but now that you know it isn't a dangerous bad wire you can just use it like a clock that notifies you it is 8:30.

Best,
Bud

1 - 10 of 10 Posts