DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My water tank overflowed a few days ago due to the ball cock not working.

A plumber has now fixed the issue.

Im now worried about the long term affects the water had.

The bedroom with the leak has visible damp stains and I can smell the damp in the corridors.

I applied some anti mould spray paint yesterday.

I went to the loft today to have a look and for the most part the floor around the tank is dry.

There is still one patch that is still damp that the plumber might have caused when cleaning out the tank.

Will damp go away by it self by naturally drying and the smell too?
Do I need to get the beams and plaster board replaced? At the moment there is no structural damage but Im worried about what happens if I leave it.
Will the smell go away and if so how long for.

The plumber has told me its nothing to worry about but I just wanted to see what are others are thinking.

Is there a way I can monitor this?

Ive attached some images. The bedroom image is the initial damage. Ive since stripped out the wall paper and ceiling paint and applied some anto mould spray paint

Thanks for your thoughts

Attachments

·
1,081 Posts
If it is still wet or even damp, you need to get it dry, the faster the better. Can you get some fans blowing on there?

Not sure if your anti-mold spray paint will accomplish much while things are still wet.

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
There's an ideal time, temperature and moisture content for mold to form. IIR ideal is around 48-72 hours @ 80°F above 13% moisture. There's plenty of on line information from qualified labs so please take what i recall -- with a grain of salt.

EDIT: By all means, get the insulation removed for accelerated drying then replace it.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
My water tank overflowed a few days ago due to the ball cock not working.
That should not have happened. For that to happen the overflow pipe in the toilet tank must be above the toilet flush handle.

Check.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts