DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to cut thick tile that I have in my bathroom. It's on a slanted roof and I need to shave off about 2 inches of tile by about 8 inches long to fit a new fan/light in the shower. I have a Rotozip tool. The only option I have seen is to buy a $40.00 bit that will cut the tile. Do I have any other options?

·
Old School
3,634 Posts
I think the diamond circular saw blade for the Roto Zip is a little bit cheaper. Cuts good. But you need to have the 90* angle head for the tool.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
they sell 7" diamond blades for circular saws. home depot and lowes carries them. 20-25 dollars a 4 inch one for a grinder is about 12.00

·
Registered
301 Posts
They are the standard 4 inch square tile but probably 1/4 inch thick.
those are super standard color/pattern. my bet is that if you work slowly and scrape the grout out first that you can pop those off with no damage.

far easier to cut when off the wall and you will spend weeks cleaning tile dust out of everything if you cut in place.

i bet you can source those at one of the big box stores though....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I needed the whole tile out I would most certainly work from the grout line instead of cutting the tile. Unfortunately I only need to take out about half of the tile, taking the whole tile would be too much.

·
Newbie Bill
1,107 Posts
chibott, I think jcrack_corn was suggesting popping the entire tile out, cutting it, and then reinstalling it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
drtbk4ever said:
chibott, I think jcrack_corn was suggesting popping the entire tile out, cutting it, and then reinstalling it.
Yes. You are correct. I read it again after. I will more then likely do that. Thanks all for your input. Thanks also to DIY for these forums. What an awesome resource!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts