DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At my new house, I noticed Comcast has a poorly installed cable line running to my house. I don't use Comcast and God willing never will again. The cable line stretches from the utility pole, across my neighbors yard, and hangs low to the ground above my driveway finally connecting to my house.

I would like to cut the cable by reaching out my upstairs window and get rid of this eyesore. I have a feeling Comcast would charge me for them to do such work. So, is this a good idea? Is this as simple as it seems to me? Just cut it and wrap the excess cable around the utility pole...

·
Resi EC
480 Posts
Don't know about overhead lines, but if I cut one by accident underground they're minimum charge to fix it is around $600.
So I would defiantly think twice about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As a last ditch resort, I called Comcast to see what they could do. I think the key phrasing was "potentially hazardous." They should be over tomorrow to get rid of this for me. Finally, Comcast comes through for me! (of course I'm no longer their customer)

·
JOATMON
16,719 Posts
Most states have laws regarding power lines and cables running across a neighbors yard.

Where I live, the phone company can't run your neighbors phone line across your yard...they have to take it mid-span and then to the intended house.

If I was your neighbor, the cable would have been cut a long time ago......after I talked to you first.....

Talk to your neighbor....if he doesn't mind you in his yard...then cut it at your end and then cut it up as high as you can on his end....

End of story

1 - 4 of 4 Posts