DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I created a connection for a future branch line a month ago and now realize I incorrectly sized it. The branch is for a kitchen drain, and while the trap arm can be 1-1/2" the branch drain needs to be 2". Woops. Because I glued the 3" to 1-1/2" reducer so close to the 3" wye there's really no room to saw the reducer off and replace it with a 3" to 2" reducer. Lesson learned: don't glue your fittings so close together.

I have never used a repair coupling before and was wondering if it could work with only a 1/2" sliver of pipe coming out of the wye? If I can't use a repair coupling, the only other options I know of are to either replace the whole wye (ouch) or just violate the code for this branch line :surprise: (it doesn't seem too egregious....).

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Attachments

· Premium Member
13,080 Posts
Google 'ram bit'. You can clean the 3" out of the hub and then proceed with your 3×2 reducer

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Reactions: tom_poconos

· Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Google 'ram bit'. You can clean the 3" out of the hub and then proceed with your 3×2 reducer

Wow, that's neat! Another tool I need :biggrin2: Thank you

After using the 3" ram bit, the 3" hub's inner walls are going to be pretty gnarly, right? Would you sand the inner walls, or do any further cleanup before sticking in a new section of 3" pipe? Would you use a different cement or be more liberal with cement when gluing back in to it?

· Premium Member
13,080 Posts
I only use the ram bit to clean it. Maybe scrape an area with a small wood chisel if needed. I does a good job overall.
There is another brand/style the works better but costs more. Unfortunately, I can't recall the name.

· Registered
16 Posts
I only use the ram bit to clean it. Maybe scrape an area with a small wood chisel if needed. I does a good job overall.
There is another brand/style the works better but costs more. Unfortunately, I can't recall the name.

God bless you. You have saved me days of work and a couple hundred bucks in materials.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.