DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Cutting into Cast-Iron waste pipe.

4336 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  oh'mike
I m in process of finishing my basement and adding a Saniflo up-flush system. The waste pipe is going to travel over to my existing 4" cast-iron waste pipe.

Now, what I was thinking of doing is taking a Sawz-all to the pipe an cutting out a piece to retrofit a PVC Y-pipe. Is this an acceptable practice? Any thing I need to know or do prior to cutting the pipe with a Sawz-all?

The pipe alread has a 1-1/2" drain that is used fr the washer which is PVC. Could tha be used for the SaniFlo, or is 1-1/2" to small for solid waste?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Long-Time DIYer
1,460 Posts
You can cut cast iron with a sawzall with metal cutting blade or a snap cutter made for the purpose, but whatever you use to cut it, make certain that you have braced the cast iron from dropping down when you cut it.
All of the weight of the cast iron above the cut will be on it. Use 2x4 bracing if necessary.
Good Luck!
Mike

· Retired Moderator
25,780 Posts
I know a plumber who used to think that all vents were anchored--(they should be)

He's short two fingers on his left hand now.

Always be cautious of other peoples work--Mike---

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.