DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 places on the exterior of my house that I will be putting a conduit through. 1 will be 1/2 inch and the other 2 are are going to be 1in. I am running network cable and speaker cable through those locations. This is for home networking, IP Camera install, ceiling speakers and outside speakers. This is a 2 story house. In 10 or so years I will be moving out of this house and it will go back to being a rental. I am wondering if it is worth it to take out the vinyl siding that I will be drilling through and then put that in my attic and put a close color back on my house that will be sacrificial or just drill the three holes in the existing siding.

Also I am looking for thoughts on sealing those holes. I plan on having a weatherproof 1 gang outlet box at each of those locations. and use electricians putting and or caulk. I read a post about using OSI quad.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Drill the holes through the existing siding, and after you move leave all your penetrations in place... just plug them with a little silicone that will be easy to remove someday.

Yes, quad will be good to use to seal around the penetrations you make in the siding.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drill the holes through the existing siding, and after you move leave all your penetrations in place... just plug them with a little silicone that will be easy to remove someday.

Yes, quad will be good to use to seal around the penetrations you make in the siding.
Thanks, my wife is less worried about it than I, she says just leave the cameras in place and leave the speakers there and we'll just buy more. I would have much preferred to fish it through the interior walls buts with outside cameras that is not an option. I will fish the front cameras though because they are in the attic of the garage.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I would do the close match approach, just to keep my options open. The cost of the replacement siding will be insignificant. Time finding the close match may not be.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would do the close match approach, just to keep my options open. The cost of the replacement siding will be insignificant. Time finding the close match may not be.
Can you be more specific do i understamd you? I think your saying go look to find a sacraficial one now that looks similar, because finding matching siding later maybe more difficult?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I would do as you suggested. Find the close match and use those where you want to drill. Save the original should you later want to remove the equipment.

Finding the close match will be difficult enough now, 10 years from now it will be even harder.
I just spent the entire day trying to find a close match for a repair job on a 25 year old house.

Color was good, grain pattern was different, style was close but not exact. Even though the color was the same as the old, the old had faded.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would do as you suggested. Find the close match and use those where you want to drill. Save the original should you later want to remove the equipment.

Finding the close match will be difficult enough now, 10 years from now it will be even harder.
I just spent the entire day trying to find a close match for a repair job on a 25 year old house.

Color was good, grain pattern was different, style was close but not exact. Even though the color was the same as the old, the old had faded.
That was my concern. The house is prob 15 years old now, if i move out in 10 thats 25 years. Right now if i gound siding that looked anywhere close , even just the color, thats good enough for me.

·
retired framer
59,890 Posts
I actually have one of those blocks from the cover page i just ordered off amazon to install a security light upfront. I will check out the catalog to see if i can find one that meets my needs.

I would use a block, the hole can be closed or used for something else latter, no harm no foul. just s a couple bucks.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Here is my luck. When I built my house, the wife wanted a gray, beaded siding. I think it was called Carolina beaded. There was two shades of gray, so close you could hardly tell the difference.
I said "Which one?"
She said "I don't care"
I said "Pick one."
She did.

A few months later I doing the kitchen cabinets. I needed to move the window over 6". That meant I need to replace a few pieces of siding. Guess what, the manufacture had decided to discontinue that shade of gray.

I was able to find some off in Maine, Mass or some where like that. They had two boxes, I got one. Should have gotten both. I still have a couple pieces out in the shed, but I guard them jealously.

If I were building again or replacing siding, I would get at least one box extra, maybe two. Same thing for tile, marble, carpet or any thing else that I might need to match up later.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is my luck. When I built my house, the wife wanted a gray, beaded siding. I think it was called Carolina beaded. There was two shades of gray, so close you could hardly tell the difference.
I said "Which one?"
She said "I don't care"
I said "Pick one."
She did.

A few months later I doing the kitchen cabinets. I needed to move the window over 6". That meant I need to replace a few pieces of siding. Guess what, the manufacture had decided to discontinue that shade of gray.

I was able to find some off in Maine, Mass or some where like that. They had two boxes, I got one. Should have gotten both. I still have a couple pieces out in the shed, but I guard them jealously.

If I were building again or replacing siding, I would get at least one box extra, maybe two. Same thing for tile, marble, carpet or any thing else that I might need to match up later.
I have done that with my flooring, which is the vinyl planking stuff from home depot, stone for my fireplace. Good insurance

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Suggest that you pull a piece down. Some manufactures emboss information on the back. Some do not, mine did not. I was fortunate, there is a wholesale distributor near me. He was able to identify the manufacturer, style and color for me. Also informed me that no way was anyone going to have exact replacement for something that old. Did suggest a couple places to go look.
Having the manufacturer's name, style and color was very helpful in find a close match.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.