DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing flooring in an unfinished bonus room. As I am doing it by myself, it occurred to me that the job would go a lot easier if I cut those ungainly 4X8 sheets of 3/4" plywood in half - 4X4's to be exact.

I can't see any issues in doing that (other than more fasteners ) but I am not a contractor and sometimes don't know what I don't know so thought I would ask.

The existing flooring is a mishmash of 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4" 4X8's that seem to have been installed by a distracted chimp.

Access is by a regular set of stairs so no real problem with that.

Thanks in advance.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,241 Posts
Full sheets are better for less warpage, and to have less jointing.

But as we age, and lose some maneuverability, a half sheet is easier to lift, move and place.

With a little extra care you can get the same results with half as you can with full.

And working alone on your own schedule, do as you like.

Just remember that the more joints you do, the more you need to be careful to build the underlying structure solid.

ED

·
Registered
10,916 Posts
One of the biggest problems with hauling 4x8's around is we don't have arms like an orangutan. Once we improvise handles the weight can usually be managed. On stairs I have also installed a right angle slide rail then used a large jaw vice grip to get ahold ot the sheet and drag it up the stairs. Doesn't help on corners but a straight shot becomes easy.

An alternate is to have someone help or tip the driver who delivers the 4x8's to put them upstairs. My lumber yard would do it for free and their process are less than the box stores.

Bud

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,814 Posts
I would cut them in half lengthwise. 2 by 8 foot.

Sent from my RCT6213W22 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
Triangles!

Personally I'd get someone to help you get all the plywood up the stairs, stack it somewhere and then install.
You're going to have a lot of joints if you cut it in half. Also you're going to have to cut them anyway to room size, staggering seams, and to have them land on a joist. You'll have some small pieces if you start with 4x4s

4x8x3/4 are heavy, I'm not making light of it, but it is doable with another pair of hands. And likely doable with a less strong pair of hands too, most of the issue is that its awkward.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,241 Posts
Awkward is the word.

I used to move 4X8X 1", as a young man.

About 10 years ago I was trying to load a 3/4 4X8 on a cart in the store, and could not move it, had to get the stockman, to help.

Got it outside and loaded it by myself into the truck.

But could not get it moved inside the store.

Hiring a "day-laborer", is common anymore, for those things that need more hands.

ED

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Triangles! lol

I hadn't considered 2X8's......but I will, thanks.

The area will not be used as any kind of living space - is staggering them necessary?

Thank you again guys - I really do appreciate your opinions and suggestions.

·
Registered
10,916 Posts

·
retired framer
38,837 Posts
I would rip them length ways if I was going to do anything, but then you need blocking under the edges too. But if I was cutting to 4x4 I would do some checking because the first and last sheets may be better at 3 and 5 or something.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts