DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting in some tile in a family member's house in the kitchen, dining, and hallway. It has 7 doors that I will need to cut the jambs for the tile to go under.

First question is what is the best method to measure this and account for the thinset height? I'm going to be putting down 1/4" hardibacker tomorrow and then will be laying the tile. I can make a rough cut tomorrow that will allow me to install the hardi. But then when I need to make the finish cut before installing the tile how do I get the perfect height and account for the thinset under the tile and the tile thickness? I have a bosch flush cut saw and a dremel oscallating tool so making the cut won't be too bad, just need to know how to measure it.

Second question is some of these doors transition into bedrooms that have hardwood. From what I have seen you want the transition under the door. The tile is going to be higher then the hardwood. So how exactly do you under cut the jamb for the tile but not above the hardwood? Hopefully that makes sense! Basically the tile is only going to go a little more then half of the jamb. So that half will have to be under cut, but the other half already has hardwood so doesn't need to be cut.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Second question is some of these doors transition into bedrooms that have hardwood. From what I have seen you want the transition under the door. The tile is going to be higher then the hardwood. So how exactly do you under cut the jamb for the tile but not above the hardwood? Hopefully that makes sense! Basically the tile is only going to go a little more then half of the jamb. So that half will have to be under cut, but the other half already has hardwood so doesn't need to be cut.
Use your oscillating multitool to make the horizontal cut. Then, a small chisel to make the vertical cut.

·
Registered
37,184 Posts
Easiest way would be to install marble or wood thresholds and tile up to it.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
The first thing I would do is forget about having the file fit perfectly under the door jamb with no gap, because you have to get the tile in there.

In new construction, I tile first, then install the doors. So if you want no gap, remove the door and casing, then re-install.

As for the disagreement between the wood and tile, you will have to scribe the jambs or put in a threshhold, as our friend from VA suggested.

I'm not sure if anyone gets better results from their jamb saws than I get from my ordinary handsaw.

I remember a gal asking me about a jamb saw, if I had one I could lend her, and I told her I just used a normal handsaw and was careful with my knuckles. She was looking for some electric saw or an easy button. The easy button would be knee pads.

·
Registered
104 Posts
+1 on the oscllating multitool.

I use a tile and a scrap of cardboard as my measuring tool for cutting jambs. The cardboard is a good thickness simulator for the thinset.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts