DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to do some reinforcing on some concrete piles.

The engineer that dreamed this up has me cutting a 2" deep 1' wide notch all the way around the concrete pile.

I have to do this on three piles then pour a slab to tie all three of them together.

I am thinking that using a circular saw with a diamond blade might work best to make the grooves in the piles as I can set the depth with the saw. I was going to cut a bunch of grooves in the pile then give it a smack with a hammer to break out the pieces to get the 2" deep x 1' wide notch that they want.

Has anyone done something similar to this or have any other suggestions.?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I've done it on a flat surface but never around a pile. I don't see why it won't work but it's going to make a mess with all the dust. Be sure to have someone help you to keep the blade wet, that will prevent the blade from getting too hot and help keep the dust down.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,242 Posts
msradell gave you the best advise, keep the dust down, you do not want silicosis ( concrete lung).

It will take time doing this, this way but I can not think of an alternative. Except for a diamond infused chain saw, used by the fire department, EXPENSIVE.

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,768 Posts
Ayuh,.... Ya might have better tool control, usin' a big angle grinder, insteada a circular saw,...

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
4" blade on a small grinder will saw 1: deep,,, to get 2", you'll need to use 8" diamond blade,,, be VERY careful - hand-cutting accounts for more than just skin cuts - you're talkin' 911 calla, lotsa stitches, & thru-bone sawcuts IF you screw up,,, we're used to the big blades but recommend 1" deep sawcuts w/shoulders - a wide kerf 1st,,, THEN saw inside that area for 2nd cut.

irc

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,794 Posts
Except for a diamond infused chain saw, used by the fire department, EXPENSIVE.
They don't use diamond chain saws, concrete guys like myself do. WHat FD's use are carbide tipped saw chains, which are relatively common, even in the consumer market.

To the OP, a 7" diamond blade won't cut more than about 1.5" deep. When you're cutting a bunch of kerfs and chiselling them off, like you're proposing, you generally want to cut a bit deeper, as the slices generally break off a little higher than your cut.

I would consider renting one of these with a foot plate and diamond blade:

bosch cutoff saw.jpg

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I bought a 7 1/4 diamond blade at Harbor Freight for about $15 that worked fine dry. I used a box fan to keep the dust off of me. For another $15 you can get an air chisel that will break out the rest between your cuts.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Any chance you could check with the engineer no look for another solution?? Like four inch deep holes drilled into the piles with 8" rebar epoxied in or the like? Ron

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any chance you could check with the engineer no look for another solution?? Like four inch deep holes drilled into the piles with 8" rebar epoxied in or the like? Ron

I wish they would, but unfortunately this was a tender the office bid on a little while ago and won the bid. So in all fairness to the other contractors they won't change the spec. on it.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
that will work - just be extremely careful as: 1, the motor generates more torque than you might imagine twisting the saw in your hands; & 2, blades sometimes ' bite ' & run out of the cut sawing anything in their pathway such as knees & shins

irc

·
Registered
1 Posts
A Diamond Blade is a circular steel disc with a diamond bearing edge. The edge of the blade may be smooth or textured, continuous rim, or a segmented rim with smaller, individual sections. Diamond quality makes up the cost on diamond blades. Circular saw blades put the power of your saw where it's needed, so the right blade is a key to the success of your project. Few years ago I bought diamond blade from Ermrich Inc. They provide almost all kinds of construction tools at very reasonable prices. Their products and services both are very high quality. I am very benefited with their products.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
op rented what jomama suggested 'cept the ' victoria's secret ' version :laughing: ours is 14" bosch - can't justify hilti $$$ :no:

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
add $ 3 - $ 5 K to the job cost ? hydro's best on bdge ( instead of a bunch of 20# chipping guns ) decks imo but it does have it uses on other items

1 - 18 of 18 Posts