DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
World's Tallest Midget
1,467 Posts
I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I'd still like to add my 3.4 cents (that's 2 cents, adjusted for inflation).

I tried to DIY some concrete drilling for work. After renting the equipment (not cheap), we hit some rebar and stuck the drill. We ended up calling a sawing/drilling company anyway (so the could finish the job and get the bit unstuck), and it would've cost about the same as rental on the equipment.

The moral of the story, when it comes to making holes or cuts in concrete, call the pros. It'll actually save you money.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
you probably ran into ' edge steel ' where the bit slightly contacts a vertical bar & tries to core down thru it,,, sooner or later that sliver of steel breaks of & you wind up w/a stuck core bit,,, don't ask me how i know this :furious: but its fairly common in coring steel reinforced conc

usually you have to unthread the bit & get a bf crescent wrench incl a pipe persuader extension,,, its not unusual to lose some ( or even all ) segments when backing out a stuck bit so that's more shop time silver soldering on replacement segments :censored:

if anyone still wants to make parallel cuts, csunitec offers a 5" ( i think ) dble blad'd saw that takes diamond blades which is made just for this purpose,,, OR you can buy mine :laughing:

·
World's Tallest Midget
1,467 Posts
you probably ran into ' edge steel ' where the bit slightly contacts a vertical bar & tries to core down thru it,,, sooner or later that sliver of steel breaks of & you wind up w/a stuck core bit,,, don't ask me how i know this :furious: but its fairly common in coring steel reinforced conc

usually you have to unthread the bit & get a bf crescent wrench incl a pipe persuader extension,,, its not unusual to lose some ( or even all ) segments when backing out a stuck bit so that's more shop time silver soldering on replacement segments :censored:

That's exactly what happened. The sawcutter we had come out got it out with his drill, which was much better than the one we rented.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts