DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I pulled out my old dishwasher so that I could install a new dishwasher on Friday. The covering of the wire got cut through somewhat. (When we were pulling it out, it was kind of hung up, and then we heard a pop and saw that the breaker had tripped.) I'm wondering: it's not a very big cut, can electrical tape cover it OK or should I have an electrician fix it? The wire is from 1986 and not very flexible and will of course have the new dishwasher mashed into it so I won't be able to look at it once we've pushed it back in.
What do you think I should do?

·
Super Moderator
16,946 Posts
If the cut caused the insulation over the conductors to become compromised, which I would surmise, since you said the breaker tripped, electrical tape will not provide a good enough fix. Can you post a pic?

The semi-flexible cable is probably type NM-B cable.

You might be able to use the existing cable and install a receptacle under the sink cabinet and add a cord to the DW. This will allow the DW to be unplugged should you need to move it.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
If the cut caused the insulation over the conductors to become compromised, which I would surmise, since you said the breaker tripped, electrical tape will not provide a good enough fix. Can you post a pic?

The semi-flexible cable is probably type NM-B cable.

You might be able to use the existing cable and install a receptacle under the sink cabinet and add a cord to the DW. This will allow the DW to be unplugged should you need to move it.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I agree it's the way to go.

·
Registered
297 Posts
If your breaker tripped, then the cut went all the way, absoluteley do not try to re-use it, wire is uber-cheap.
Another option(better in my mind) would be to:
Install a junction box in the wall and go to a store that sells wire by the foot, get yourself some flexible armored cable and use that.
If your cheap (and careful not to nick it again) you could use regular romex.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.