DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can you buy custom size drywall for a ceiling. I need to cover a 5' x 6' feet area in one piece so i don't have to tape and float it..

·
A Little Of Everything
2,389 Posts
Unless I'm missing something - which I may very well be - drywall only comes in 4' widths. I've never seen it any other width.

I'm afraid, my friend, that taping and mudding is probably in your future.

·
A Little Of Everything
2,389 Posts
drywall comes also for 9' walls, so maybe 5' available. check suppliers
That's length. You can get drywall in lengths up to 16'. But I've never heard of anything but 4' widths. Perhaps I've just not looked in the right places.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
If you own a house you should learn to tape.
Ron

·
Chicago, IL
1,037 Posts
That 5/8 x 54" x 12' material would be a real treat to hang on a ceiling :no:.

·
Drywall contractor
2,151 Posts
54" wide still doesn't get the 60" width wallboy is looking for. 54" is available at most drywall supply houses. No one makes 60" wide. The only "custom" orders I know of is in the length. You USED to be able to get 8'-6", 9'-6", etc. to stand up on commercial work. It saved some time, but often the wait to get the product wasn't worth it (not to mention additional cost).

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
54" wide still doesn't get the 60" width wallboy is looking for. 54" is available at most drywall supply houses. No one makes 60" wide. The only "custom" orders I know of is in the length. You USED to be able to get 8'-6", 9'-6", etc. to stand up on commercial work. It saved some time, but often the wait to get the product wasn't worth it (not to mention additional cost).
Ya, I think everybody gave up on that knowing there was nothing for the OP. Then we got on the 54" rock and away we went.

·
Drywall contractor
2,151 Posts
Understand. And I was just throwing in the fact that you can (or at least COULD) get "custom" drywall to some extent. Again even those lengths would be for a commercial "high rise" where you need several thousand boards. Michael Thomas' comment on the 54" on the ceiling is dead on. Haven't dealt with any 5/8"x54", but the one job I did with 54"x1/2" (builder furnished material) was a real pain. Standing on a bench trying to hold the board on your head as is normally done, I found my arms were too short to reach the edge of the board to nail. Of course the 54" is meant mainly for 9' walls, so figure 48" on your ceilings. I've never used a lift, so I'm not sure if that could be the solution. Not sure if they're capable of 54" width or not....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts