DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Jack of all - master none
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend I had a party with my paintbrush. One of the things I got checked off the to-do list was painting the front door. It was white, now it is red to match the shutters I built and installed about a month ago. I still plan on building shutters to go around the first story windows as well. I have one of the 8 finished.

I have 2 questions for you guys. Just looking for opinions really.

What do you think about adding shutters to the sides of the window up above? I don't want it to look too crowded, but I also don't want that window to disappear or look neglected.

Should I add a storm door? If I did, I think the all glass type would be the way to go, but would it look alright or meh? What color of frame on that door? I'm having a hard time envisioning it. I put one on my last house and we really liked having it because we could open the front door, but I'm not sure how it will look on this house.

Attached below is a picture from earlier today. Thanks!

·
Registered
769 Posts
I would be more inclined to remove the existing shutters rather than add some to the center window. In my eye, there is not enough surface space on the center window to accept shutters. I generally don't like fake shutters, however.

I think a storm door would look OK here. Alternatively, you could add one of those retractable screens if your sole purpose was to allow ventilation in the summer.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Most storm door manufacturers will do almost any color, so a color to match the door makes the full view storm almost invisible.

Shutters make things look finished, but not sure on a window that large, with such a small space on the sides.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I would leave your larger window alone. Your house already looks great. Adding the ones on the bottom will just "finish" it.:thumbsup:

·
uva uvam vivendo variafit
641 Posts
I agree on the shutters - there's not enough room to fit them up top. Since your front door is partially sheltered, I wouldn't bother with the storm door unless you want a screened one for air flow as the other poster said. I think front doors generally look better without them.

·
Blonde+Hammer=Lookout
38 Posts
cute, cute, cute!

Did you ever think about a pair of porch lights, one on each side of the door?

maybe you don't need me adding to your honey do list but it might be a nice thing to have..

·
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I was leaning towards no on the shutters on that top center window - you guys are just helping me confirm I was right.

There are 3x recessed fixtures in the roof of the porch, which do a very good job at lighting up that area. Otherwise, yes, porch lights would be a good idea.

Other plans (not this summer) are to put a proper flag pole in the yard, with a circular flower garden around it. It would probably be to the left of the house. I still need to think about that one a while though, I may start making things look cluttered if I'm not careful. The bed on the left was put in last year to match the one on the right. As those boxwood grow in, the lilies will leave for elsewhere. It was just too empty with the small plants growing in their first couple years.

·
Blonde+Hammer=Lookout
38 Posts
I really like the flag on the porch where it is.. but that is just my opinion.

Do you have a neighborhood association that would have to approve a free standing flag pole?

Great house!

·
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope - no associations. We are free to do whatever we want, so long as it is within the city's ordinances. I was trying to find a picture of when we bought it - 2 years ago this Friday. It was very bland.

·
641 Posts
Had our HOA meeting last night. Apart from the Board members, I was one of three homeowners that attended. And people complain about this and that. :/

·
KemoSabe
644 Posts
I'd be more inclined to do a PVC trim detail around that window and forgo the shutters. Something like this to make it pop and create a focal point.

IMO, shutter don't belong on a feature window like that.

Attachments

·
KemoSabe
644 Posts
I cropped that image to show more detail. There's a ton of different effects that you could do to really set that gable off.

Attachments

·
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
That's definitely something I will at least look into. What should I be searching for? Every time I look for something for PVC window details, I get PVC framed windows in my result?

RE: the yard. Oy. You should have seen it when we moved in 2 years ago. This is the first year it has looked good. It doesn't help that 3/5s of my neighborhood uses professional landscapers and the guy next to me is super-passionate about his lawn. He literally cuts it every other day. You can putt in his back yard. When we moved in, the house had sat empty for nearly a year. Grass in the back yard was knee-high. The realtor paid some kid to keep the front mowed, but that doesn't mean it was good grass. I fought a lot of bare spots, many invasive grasses, and tons of weeds. That first summer we were too focused on bringing the house around to care much about the yard.

Last summer was my first attempt at bringing the yard around. It got a couple shots of fertilizer, but didn't do all that well. By about June of last year my front yard was 70% dandelion. Ortho weed-b-gone got rid of those, but the grass still wasn't very full. I made sure to winterize for the first time at the end of last season.

This spring, early, it got Scotts turfbuilder with pre-emergent weed killer. 6 weeks later, Scotts turfbuilder with +2 weed control (*). I also put down some Scotts grub-ex on the front lawn, as the area between the sidewalk and street was showing some signs of grub damage. I am going to continue with Scotts Turfbuilder, of the appropriate formula, every 6 weeks. We've also got a ton of rain this spring, which has helped. The back yard looks about the same as the front now, but had a lot of invasive tall fescue that made it look like clumps of weeds all over, but it's really just thicker bladed fast-growing grass. The normal grass is now starting to choke that out. I cut high to keep the grass growing healthy. For best appearance, I cut in 2 directions, and try to vary "angled" or "straight" patterns every other time.

(*) I have used the Scotts Turfbuilder with plus 2 weed control in the past and thought, "meh." This year, when I had finished my lawn I had a half-hopper leftover. I took it to the lot behind my house (park) and made a few passes along my fence into the park until I ran out of fertilizer. When dandelions hit their peak a few weeks ago, it was like a line was drawn in that lot of where they should stop. There were no dandelions growing up anywhere near my yard. Good stuff.

·
641 Posts
Well done. It looks nice a flat too., The guy that sodded my lawn did a lousy job and I was too focused on getting in the house so I let it pass. Driving over the lawn in my riding lawn mower is kinda bumpy, but beer seems to help (of course you can't leave it in the cup holder as it will go flat). I have St. Augustine, which is susceptible to fungus and I have had some die off the last couple of years. The experts told me to quit fertilizing in order to get rid of the fungus, but it also seemed to have resulted in weeds taking over where the grass didn't come back. Part of my yard is on a 20-25 degree slope, and if I was concerned that if the grass and/or weeds died off, I wodl be looking at an erosion nightmare and have to re-sod. So, I panicked went to John Deere and got some Lesco 24-2-11, which has helped, but I started a little too late to get in a second treatment.

I did try organics for a couple years, but they didn't seem to help. They did work for this guy though:

http://www.gardenweb.com/auth/nph-logincheck.cgi?action=public_profile&user=todd_in_texas

I wonder if KrazeeKristen is running the same program on her pumpkins.

·
Blonde+Hammer=Lookout
38 Posts
Well done. It looks nice a flat too., The guy that sodded my lawn did a lousy job and I was too focused on getting in the house so I let it pass. Driving over the lawn in my riding lawn mower is kinda bumpy, but beer seems to help (of course you can't leave it in the cup holder as it will go flat). I have St. Augustine, which is susceptible to fungus and I have had some die off the last couple of years. The experts told me to quit fertilizing in order to get rid of the fungus, but it also seemed to have resulted in weeds taking over where the grass didn't come back. Part of my yard is on a 20-25 degree slope, and if I was concerned that if the grass and/or weeds died off, I wodl be looking at an erosion nightmare and have to re-sod. So, I panicked went to John Deere and got some Lesco 24-2-11, which has helped, but I started a little too late to get in a second treatment.

I did try organics for a couple years, but they didn't seem to help. They did work for this guy though:

http://www.gardenweb.com/auth/nph-logincheck.cgi?action=public_profile&user=todd_in_texas

I wonder if KrazeeKristen is running the same program on her pumpkins.
LOL!!! You guys!!!:no:

for the record my pumpkins are all natural organic free-range prize winners!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts