DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I build signs for a living but selling skidsteer and tractor attachments is my "side hustle". I'm getting awfully tired of having to move all this stuff to mow and need to put some rock down. I have a dig permit ordered and some Geotextile on the way as well. How deep should I excavate and what type rock should I use? Thanks!
Plant Tree Sky Fence Natural landscape
Plant Window Motor vehicle Tree Grass

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Us engineers would spec out "crusher run base", but if you get a blank look from the person behind the counter at your local sand & gravel supplier, ask them what they typically supply for driveways. You want a well-graded (fairly even blend of different sized materials) crushed stone. Typically, stuff that comes out of the gravel pit (pit run) and then is run through the rock crusher (crusher run) is fairly cheap and compacts well.

·
retired framer
63,490 Posts
If you want it level with the grass I would go down about 6", if all you have is top soil, no geo fabric you won't 3/4 crushed stone to sink into the top soil and make it stiff, about 4" deep, can cover that with 2" of road mulch which comes with many names, it is crushed mixed 3/4" down to sand.
I built a drive way like that with instruction from my friend that owned the gravel pit 30 years ago. and i drove by that house last year, the driveway still looks the same.

·
Registered
Building my last home
3,925 Posts
I would scrap some old pallets and put your side hustle on boards, and off the ground after you remove/kill the grass and spread the gravel.

I have seen Bermuda grass with roots 20 feet long.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would scrap some old pallets and put your side hustle on boards, and off the ground after you remove/kill the grass and spread the gravel.

I have seen Bermuda grass with roots 20 feet long.
We have Bahia grass and weeds here at the shop. Its going to have heavy geotextile under the rock. That should slow the grass down some I hope.

·
Master General ReEngineer
10,285 Posts
We have Bahia grass and weeds here at the shop. Its going to have heavy geotextile under the rock. That should slow the grass down some I hope.
Ayuh,.... The textile will stop the grass that's there, 'n keep the gravel from sinkin' into the soil, but weed, 'n grass seeds will get blown in, 'n take root over time,....

I agree with the others,.... 3/4" minus is the material you want,..... 1, 1/2" minus will work too, just alittle harder rakin' it out,....

·
retired framer
63,490 Posts
I've worked for a DOT for 20 years, designing structures per the AASHTO code, including specifying aggregates for backfilling around those structures, and I've never heard of GAB.
Gab is what you do when you want to order it and don't know what to call it.

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
I would remove topsoil at least 6” down and up to 12” down if topsoil is that deep. Putting shallow stone over topsoil often lets it get squishy. I dug my parking area down around a foot, Then I put down about 9” of #2 crusher run. After it was compacted I put down #1 crusher run. A year later and every 5 years since, I add 20 tons of clean #1 crushed stone on top. The loose stone on top prevents tracking stone dust and means I never have ponding water to walk in. 40 years later and it has never been squishy, even with tractor trailers and 10 wheelers occasionally backing in. They barely leave tire tracks. In the summer, I spray it a couple of times with Roundup and I smooth it by dragging a pallet and a piece of chain link fencing behind the zero turn mower. That makes it look like new.

Reactions: 3Dsigns

·
Registered
14,584 Posts
I've worked for a DOT for 20 years, designing structures per the AASHTO code, including specifying aggregates for backfilling around those structures, and I've never heard of GAB.
If you only do DOT structures, you wouldn't have heard of it, because it's not used for structures—it's used for road bases.

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Maybe it's an East Coast vs. West Coast thing, IDK.
Could be. Names can vary from region to region, and even from supplier to supplier. That's why I attempted to describe the material, in addition to giving the names I knew that it goes by in this area. I wasn't trying to be contrarian; just inform that the term "graded aggregate base" is not a universal thing, nor an AASHTO thing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts