DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I have an old CRT monitor and I've been playing with it, I took the flyback transformer's output and soldered a 3 foot Cable to it. So now I can play with it's 2.8kv output.

My problem now is after about 3 seconds of "zapping" the power relay is clicking, my question is can I bypass the relay or are they there for safety to keep the electricity from flowing back into a house?

EDIT: I have also placed a nails where the fuses were because they blew.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Are you for real man ?
If it is a crt monitor then the high voltage will be MUCH more
than 2.8Kv.
It is more likely to be around 20Kv.
Possibilly 28Kv.
CRT output stages are a tuned reasonate circuit,
You cannot just tack things on and expect it to work.
It is designed to work with its included load only.
Not to mention it is extremily dangerous and foolish to play
with such things.
If you want to play with high voltages
consider building a jacobs ladder.
But these are also dangerous and require GREAT care.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry you're right, it was a typo, i was using my iphone and it corrected me and put 20.8bmp then i mistyped it a second time.
now despite your warnings, i'm going to proceed to work on this because i am well knoledged in the dangers and safety as far as high voltage goes.

i would like to create a driver for it and run it from a battery or 120v ac line using a rectifier. but i'm not really sure how to go about this?

·
Mad Scientist
951 Posts
If you don't know the purpose of the relay, you probably shouldn't be doing this.

I like unwise high-voltage experiments as much as the next guy, but you should probably do some more reading first. Those high voltages are very unforgiving of mistakes, and the consequence of error is death.

Sorry to be so blunt, but your question about the relay preventing power "flowing back to the house" suggest that you should probably do quite a bit more research before playing around with power sources that can kill you.

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
The flyback driver in the TV is not intended to supply substantial amounts of power, since the CRT hardly requires any current. Making sparks with the flyback output requires much more power, and has the potential to easily damage the driver circuit. The self-shutdown feature is probably intended to protect the circuit from damage. You'd be much better off building a new driver circuit for the flyback transformer. There are hundreds of circuits for this all over the internet - it's been a popular thing to do since the 1950's! However, you may need to learn a bit more about electronics before you find success with this sort of project... "keep[ing] the electricity from flowing back into a house" is sort of a nonsensical statement.

Good luck and be careful. My very first solid-state circuit ever was a flyback transformer driver I made with a pair of 2N3055 transistors in 5th grade! I still have that transformer somewhere.

Reactions: Jeffv2

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks mpoulton, although I know what a relay is I wasn't sure it's purpose on a CRT. I have built several drivers for my laser diodes and such. And since I recently got a flyback From a old CRT tv I decided to play with it, everyone starts somewhere and I was simply asking.

I just joined this forum for help with this and future projects, but I've only been here for a few hours and encountered all this hostility and negative comments.

Now to start fresh, my electrical knowledge on circuits and stuff is maybe limited, but I'm well aware of the effects of electricity on the human body (2+ years of anatomy and other human sciences) And I'm very knowledgeable as far as the modern physics side of electrons (5+ years of reading and learning about quantum & classical physics)
Now none of this qualifies me to be here or ask about a flyback but can I please be treated with a little more respect.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Actually they are used for Tesla type experiments. Unless you know what you are doing to do a Tesla experiment, you can kill yourself by not knowing.

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
Along with the the high tension lead that goes to the CRT, flybacks are also used to provide DC power to other circuits and CRT elements. Flybacks are not capable of providing large amounts of current so these outputs are only used to feed high impedance circuits. The relay you mention is there as part of the safety design to ensure the voltages are correct coming out of the flyback and that there is no emissions that violate the FCC requirements.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts