DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing crown molding on my kitchen cabinets. I have no problem with the 90 angle (two 45 degree cuts), but i am having trouble with 3 other angles. They are all 135 degree inside (if that makes sense). I am using a compound miter saw, but can't seem to get the miter and bevel set correctly. I have already gone through 8' of scrap crown trying to figure it out.

·
Super Moderator
22,184 Posts
Straight cut one and cope the other one to match it.
The angle to cut should half. Cut a 67.5 angle.

·
AHH, SPANS!!!
1,751 Posts
135 divided by two= 67.5. either set crown bedded upside down and set miter angle to 67.5 for the cut or lay crown on the flat (profile side up) and set bevel at 50.2 and miter set at 48 respectively. my compound miter saw goes to 55 degrees on the miter and about 50 degrees on the bevel so you will have to work out that extra 11.5 degrees for the miter to get ti up to 67.5 degrees.

might have to build a hold off system for the crown to rest against for the cuts. this allows longer miter cuts than the set stops allow.either cut it upside down bedded onto the saw or lay the crown flat on its backside to cut it

another way to cut it is to make a jig for a tablesaw and slide the crown cuts through. this allows the angles to be worked out as well. both ways require modification because of the steep 135 angle.

what size crown is it?

·
Stairguy
737 Posts
Most if not all new compound miter saws have detents for doing crowns. It's much easier if you know how to use these properly. They are set on bevel at 33.9 and miter at 31.5. This will give you a 45degree miter. This is done laying your crown flat on the saw btw. I assume when you say you need a 135 you mean an inside corner? This is actually a 45 which is the complement angle. This is divided by 2 to make a bisect. So set your bevel to 16.9 and miter stays at 31.5

1 - 5 of 5 Posts