DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,462 Posts
Shoot me a couple other examples of a good crimping tool, I like any excuse to buy a new tool.
Andrew....I have one I especially like as it's crimp is at the very end....seems a convenience in getting the tool into the box and away from other wires....but it does not have a name on it.

But the ones posted here work fine also.....

If you're just starting electrical, and want to treat yourself to a great wiring tool, let me advise you to a wire (not cable) stripper. Rather then the cheap one'which cut the wire according to it's guage and then pull the tool off to remove the wire insulation.... get the one that sorta grabs/clamps the wire where you want to begin the strip, and then grabs the strip part and pulls it off. It is much easier and does not score the copper. Several makers, maybe $15-20.

I understand your not wanting to argue with the beuacratic flunked-out of the trades building officials. Let them know that you want to do it right...make them feel important on any inconsequential non-expensive issues....doesn't hurt to have a box of donuts on location either.

Make friends of them....

EDIT: I should note that they are mostly fine and knowledgeable and helpful guys/ladies....but like anything...there are a few dumb ones. I think I've only encountered maybe 3-4 jerks.

Good going

·
Super Moderator
8,875 Posts
The initial inspection just to verify what they wanted done did not go very well and I got the supervisor and head of the planning department involved. In the end the main guy came out to inspect it and told me they always want them crimped and that other methods are not what they want to see.

I like to pick the battles wisely and it that's what I need to do to get power then I will. They are not pleasant people in general but the head guy did answer quite a few questions and seemed genuine enough. I can now understand why people do not like to pull permits.
Are you in the city of Atlanta itself?

I have always twisted and used crimps.
I have never worked in the city of Atlanta, but have friends that do. I can ask them what they have experienced.

·
4,080 Posts
Pretty fancy Greg.... maybe over kill, over price, for home wiring..??:wink2:
Prices change with inflation. Good tools cost money and used as much as a crimper will be for a electrician using them everyday, yep they are high.

But probably worth it. I am not a fan of single or two point crimps on ground wire bundles. The Buchanan has a 4 point crimp= better 360 degree circumference crimp pressure being used.

I paid $20.00 for my Buchanan crimper pliers that I still have....around 40 some years ago.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,462 Posts
Prices change with inflation. Good tools cost money and used as much as a crimper will be for a electrician using them everyday, yep they are high.

But probably worth it. I am not a fan of single or two point crimps on ground wire bundles. The Buchanan has a 4 point crimp= better 360 degree circumference crimp pressure being used.

I paid $20.00 for my Buchanan crimper pliers that I still have....around 40 some years ago.

Man Greg.... what were you thinking... 40 years ago that was 133 15-cent draft beers......:wink2::smile:

·
Registered
465 Posts
The initial inspection just to verify what they wanted done did not go very well and I got the supervisor and head of the planning department involved. In the end the main guy came out to inspect it and told me they always want them crimped and that other methods are not what they want to see.

I like to pick the battles wisely and it that's what I need to do to get power then I will. They are not pleasant people in general but the head guy did answer quite a few questions and seemed genuine enough. I can now understand why people do not like to pull permits.
In Atlanta, WHO exactly is doing the electrical inspection? Is it the "Building Inspector" or an actual "Electrical Inspector". I'm asking because many electrical inspections are conducted by inspectors associated with the National Fire Underwriters Assoc. Those guys are independent of any local inspector.

Here in SC, in my area, it is the "Building Codes" inspector that also does the electrical. More often than not, this leads to differences of opinion between professional electricians here & the inspector. Many of these difference come down to a lot of nonsense attitude & ego with the inspector wanting to show his great wealth of knowledge...NOT. My electrician with over twenty years of working in the area, resolves these stupid issue by allowing the inspector to "WIN" as long as it is not adding unnecessary cost or labor to the job. It's all so stupid.

·
4,080 Posts
In Atlanta, WHO exactly is doing the electrical inspection? Is it the "Building Inspector" or an actual "Electrical Inspector". I'm asking because many electrical inspections are conducted by inspectors associated with the National Fire Underwriters Assoc. Those guys are independent of any local inspector.

Here in SC, in my area, it is the "Building Codes" inspector that also does the electrical. More often than not, this leads to differences of opinion between professional electricians here & the inspector. Many of these difference come down to a lot of nonsense attitude & ego with the inspector wanting to show his great wealth of knowledge...NOT. My electrician with over twenty years of working in the area, resolves these stupid issue by allowing the inspector to "WIN" as long as it is not adding unnecessary cost or labor to the job. It's all so stupid.

A fact of life ^^^ even when I was contracting 20 years ago. There were many "nit-picky" things my electrical inspector would say that was "code" that I knew was just his pet peeve.

But I just went ahead and did his beckon, as I had to make choice in getting my check from the builder right after I got my rough in or final inspection... or did I want to play "head" games with the inspector, while losing customers.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts