DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

My First Post Here. I was sitting and a question came into my mind.

What are some interesting tools you know which are quite uncommon in Home Improvement?

Such as a "Japanese sickle" though it's a farming-related tool.

· retired painter
14,832 Posts
Yrs ago I worked for an outfit that took a job stripping the paint off of 12' tall fluted porch columns on a church. That was back when you were still allowed to use a torch to melt and scrape the paint. Scraping with a putty knife was a pain! so when I got home I welded a large washer to a piece of galvanized pipe, did a little grinding and it worked great. Besides making my job easier it sped up the job about 50%.

· Registered
3,009 Posts
As Mark showed, sometimes it's the actual tool, but in many cases it's the jigs to better utilize the tool, as Neal said. A couple of weeks ago I was going to turn something on the metal lathe, needed a particular tool that I don't use too often, opened the cabinet, took out the box it was in, and did what I wanted, but spent the next hour or so wondering what those things in the bag were. It was one of those small ziplock type bags, the size of a sticky note, with something like a 1/4" or 5/16" washer that had been cut in half. Hmm, I knew they were there for a reason, even remembered cutting it in half and filing the cut edges down to size, and would have known exactly what they were when it was time to use them, but what the heck for? On to other things when I remembered they were miniature spanner wrenches that I can hold in a pair of pliers while recalibrating the feed screws. That's only necessary maybe once every ten years or thereabout, but invaluable when it's time to do it. So there are all sorts of custom handmade tools and jigs in hundreds of thousands of garages and shops, some easily recognizable like push sticks, tenon jigs, etc., etc., etc., and some not so recognizable like two halves of a flat washer.

· In a little over my head
1,740 Posts
Maybe one of the handiest tools that I wouldn't have thought of carrying in my tool belt is a 1" stiff blade putty knife. It's a chisel, scraper, light duty pry bar, line up tool, straight edge and more. You can even use it on putty! It's cheap and consumable. I abuse the crap out of it. And I'm still on my first one. (It may be a little shorter than it was when it was new.) I'm sure that having in my tool belt all the time has saved wear and tear on my chisels and screwdrivers.

· Registered
16,430 Posts
Maybe one of the handiest tools that I wouldn't have thought of carrying in my tool belt is a 1" stiff blade putty knife. It's a chisel, scraper, light duty pry bar, line up tool, straight edge and more. You can even use it on putty! It's cheap and consumable. I abuse the crap out of it. And I'm still on my first one. (It may be a little shorter than it was when it was new.) I'm sure that having in my tool belt all the time has saved wear and tear on my chisels and screwdrivers.
I'm betten that sure saves on pocket knives and maybe broken blades.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.