1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tupperware.
Problems with Tupperware...

1. A strong wind would blow it away.
2. I plan to attach the camera and the hotspot to a piece of wood and then either a post or a tree. I don't see how I would secure Tupperware to the board.
3. The lid is not very secure and not watertight. I'm in central Florida. Lots of rain here.

·
Contractor/Engineer
765 Posts
Ummm.... it's WIFI - won't it work on the other side of the wall, i.e., inside the house?

·
In a little over my head
1,163 Posts
Buy a good piece of "plastic storage container." I like Rubbermaid. Attach the lid to a piece of wood with screws. Mount your device to the lid. Seal all the screws with silicone. Snap the bowl to the lid.

Alternatively, you could use a Pelican case. Stouter, might last longer. More expensive.

You could use either, drill no holes, secure with bungee cords. Simple, no holes to leak. The pelican case even has lugs/loops for the bungees.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's where I am. I bought a large junction box to put the hotspot in. They don't come with holes or knockouts so I drilled a very unprofessional looking hole in the bottom. (Any way to do that better?). As you can see, you can deactivate my entire security system just by unplugging the USB cable from the power box. There's no way that I'm aware of to hardwire it to the box because the electronics use ~5v DC power. So I'm not sure if there's any way to improve that. Although I am buying a waterproof USB plug for whatever that's worth.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Install an outlet above the low voltage box, so it's out of reach. You can also protect the cable with some sort of tubing/flex conduit up to the out let.

When making holes in PVC, I would recommend the appropriate sized hole saw for the size fitting you're using. You can also use a step bit, but I find the taper to not make a good surface for the locknut or fitting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts