DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is crazy delicious potato pancakes.
They are good with anything you normally
serve mashed or fried potato’s with.

I saw Jacques Pipon make this on his show
and have been making it this way ever since.

Make sure you add the chopped scallions after
it is finished mixing in the processor...also I just
use regular corn starch, not potato starch.

Also, serve it with a side of apple sauce and sour cream.

Warning: these are addictive...Double the recipe, the next day
heat them up in a frying pan to go with your breakfast eggs.
(If there’s any left :biggrin2:)

http://tiffanycooks.cyberphreak.com/?p=1392

·
Super Moderator
13,879 Posts
Ok, this is crazy delicious potato pancakes.
They are good with anything you normally
serve mashed or fried potato’s with.

I saw Jacques Pipon make this on his show
and have been making it this way ever since.

Make sure you add the chopped scallions after
it is finished mixing in the processor...also I just
use regular corn starch, not potato starch.

Also, serve it with a side of apple sauce and sour cream.

Warning: these are addictive...Double the recipe, the next day
heat them up in a frying pan to go with your breakfast eggs.
(If there’s any left :biggrin2:)

http://tiffanycooks.cyberphreak.com/?p=1392
I am going to weigh way way more than I do now with all these great recipes. Thanks Joann, I have this one saved also.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Dang it Joann!!!!!!..........

I think I've read the Jacques Pepin recipe but never made it. I got to look in my favorites links.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Printed.

·
Premium Member
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is that recipe? Can you share it, or is it really a top secret?

Reactions: Mike Milam

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Latkes from ground rather than shredded potatoes.

·
Premium Member
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is that what the Polish pancake mix is Latkes? That’s the way I used to make them,
and they were always raw potatoes in the middle. Jacques recipe is the best...especially with the scallions and garlic.
I mean it when I say it’ll change your life! ... I’m a thinking I need some! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Well depends on whether or not you believe Wikipedia. Says lots of cultures have potato pancakes in one form or another.

I've yet to make any.

·
Premium Member
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You haven’t made Jacques potato pancakes yet? Get out!

...and the there is this German Potato Balls.

Another potato dish that I used to make potato patties with leftover mashed potatoes.
crack and egg in it, some flour,( to hold it together ) salt, pepper, chopped parsley,
sometimes put in shredded cheddar...then dip in egg and breadcrumbs
and fry. It’s was a good thing...However, I make a lot less mashed potato these days, thus no
leftovers to work with.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
You haven’t made Jacques potato pancakes yet? Get out!

...and the there is this German Potato Balls.

Another potato dish that I used to make potato patties with leftover mashed potatoes.
crack and egg in it, some flour,( to hold it together ) salt, pepper, chopped parsley,
sometimes put in shredded cheddar...then dip in egg and breadcrumbs
and fry. It’s was a good thing...However, I make a lot less mashed potato these days, thus no
leftovers to work with.
Not yet. Too many things I want to make. Kartoffelkloesse is another. If I wasn't planning a stromboli already for later today I'd give it a shot. Gonna try Oaxaca cheese instead of mozzarella. It's said to taste better than and have superior melting qualities than mozzarella. Also about half the cost of fresh mozzarella here.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Being part German and having married an Indian woman from Mumbai, I was fascinated by the Indian take on potato pancakes. It's called ragda pattice. Basically, you boil whole potatoes in their skin, then peel and mash them, then season them, form into patties, and fry them. You serve the fried patties under a mess of chickpea-tomato curry (ragda) and top it all with some minced raw onion and sev (fried vermicelli made from chickpea flour). It's indescribably delicious, hitting all the right notes - a little spicy, a little sweet from the tomato, a good dose of that fried-potato goodness, a little zing from the raw onion, and a little crunch from the sev. And it's very filling for a vegetarian snack.

·
Premium Member
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let me know about the Oaxaca cheese. I’ve been getting mozzarella ( on sale) 1 lb for 1.99
all along until recently ...it went up to 2.49 ...When it’s on sale, I buy at least 10 of them,
cut them in half and freeze them...I make a lot of stuff with 1/2 pound of mozzarella.
I have a stock pile of mootzie. (y)

·
Premium Member
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Snic, sounds delicious.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Let me know about the Oaxaca cheese. I’ve been getting mozzarella ( on sale) 1 lb for 1.99
all along until recently ...it went up to 2.49 ...When it’s on sale, I buy at least 10 of them,
cut them in half and freeze them...I make a lot of stuff with 1/2 pound of mozzarella.
I have a stock pile of mootzie. (y)
I will. I did mean that the Oaxaca cheese was about half the cost of a similar size ball of mozzarella, HERE. A ball of fresh mozzarella will cost between 7 and 8 dollars. This 10 oz ball of Oaxaca cheese cost $3.49. I'd gladly pay your prices. Did you read my rant in one of your antipasto threads? If not take a look. I'll let you know about the taste of the Oaxaca.

Here post #6

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I can only buy Latkes at Trader Joes. Never made them. My potato cakes are plain leftover mashed frozen then fried. We’ll love yours so much more,

·
Super Moderator
13,879 Posts
I had to look up what Latkes was. We always called the potato pancakes, potato patties. Mostly left over mashed potatoes and onions, salt and pepper.

When our ship was in the Brooklyn Ship yards back in the 60s, when I went to parts of the city, street vendors would sell something that tasted like fried mashed potato patties. They didn't taste like what I was use too. Any idea what they were?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts