DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· liscenced electrician
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking at a wood insert and i was wondering if its worth buying and what i need to look at when buying it. Its a catalytic blaze king princess.

It looks like it has a square exhaust. Is it missing some kind of adapter, or is that normal?

Attachments

· Registered
1,105 Posts
the catalytic honey comb in any catalytic stove needs to be replaced every so often...what is the price on that unit on CL? what is it new?..no adapter on that unit to goto 6 inch ss pipe up the chimmney, looks like you just open the damper and push it in the fireplace area...how old is that unit?

· Registered
1,105 Posts
for 300..offer him half..see if the honey comb is broken up..if not is a cheap gamble..look for any welded seams that are cracked, and how is the fire brick in the chamber? and anything that looks bent or melted on the inside..I have put in several of the newer inserts that use the stainless steel liner..

· Registered
1,105 Posts
it looks in working order, but you would still need to make or buy the apron to fit around the stove tight and seal around the fireplace opening...it would give more heat into the room than an open fireplace...see if he will go way down on the price..for $100.00 to play with its probably worth it..

· liscenced electrician
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
They said they have the surround.

I currently have an insert of sorts. It looks like an insert with a fan but uses the masonry for the for the firebox. Its way better than just a fireplace, but not as good as an insert. I only use it when it's really cold. It heats up good, but I feel like it burns through wood way too fast. No way could I get it overnight. Seems like 4 hours is about all I can get it to last. I'm hoping to find a long burn time insert and maybe I'd use it more often.

I'll see if they'll take less, but I'm thinking it might not be that big of an improvement over what I currently have

· Registered
5,716 Posts
That top is fairly typical for an older insert. Mine looked close to that; nothing missing.

· Registered
1,105 Posts
They said they have the surround.

I currently have an insert of sorts. It looks like an insert with a fan but uses the masonry for the for the firebox. Its way better than just a fireplace, but not as good as an insert. I only use it when it's really cold. It heats up good, but I feel like it burns through wood way too fast. No way could I get it overnight. Seems like 4 hours is about all I can get it to last. I'm hoping to find a long burn time insert and maybe I'd use it more often.

I'll see if they'll take less, but I'm thinking it might not be that big of an improvement over what I currently have
if you want an over night burner , then an EPA certified insert is the way to go..all my wood stoves are EPA certified and you can pack them up and they will last a good 8 to 10 hours depending on how hard the wood is you use..like oak, cherry or locust burn all night..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.