DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Craftsman torque wrench model 31424 which is broken at the 3/8 square drive. I really only wanted to be able to buy parts and fix it myself, but it seems that Craftsman does not have parts available. The person at Lowe's told me the will not replace it unless it is the SAME EXACT MODEL that they currently sell. Does anyone have any other solutions besides throwing it away and buying a new one?
Material property Fixture Metal Composite material Wood

·
Registered
566 Posts
Might be able to find parts online, but I doubt it. Another reason I'll never buy Craftsman.

Go to harbor freight, you can get a 3/8" drive torque wrench for about $20. They are surprisingly accurate, I have two 1/2" and one 3/8" I use professionally and have certified yearly. Out of the box all have been very close to accurate and required little adjustment.

·
Registered
appliances
2,843 Posts
In a pinch you can make any wrench into a torque wrench
with an extension spring from HD,
or a "spring balance".

A 9" wrench with 10 lbs force on the handle end gives 7.5 lb-ft of torque.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
I have a Craftsman torque wrench model 31424 which is broken at the 3/8 square drive. I really only wanted to be able to buy parts and fix it myself, but it seems that Craftsman does not have parts available. The person at Lowe's told me the will not replace it unless it is the SAME EXACT MODEL that they currently sell.
That makes no sense. The person at Lowe's is clueless.
Contact Craftsman directly. They will take care of you.

·
Registered
13,548 Posts
I agree with Missouri and De-nagorg keep pushing the warranty. I have had several tools replaced over the years and rarely the exact item I had.
Bud

Reactions: de-nagorg

·
Super Moderator
15,613 Posts
I believe the warranty on a torque wrench is only 1 year, despite being Craftsman.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts