DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was about 40 minutes into mowing, came down a slight decline, pressed the brake to make a turn and then I let up on the brake, the mower went nowhere. I didn't hear any funny sounds and nothing felt different. The mower was still running but won't move.

This is an old mower but has been running great. The brake does not appear to be stuck. I'm still able to push the mower if I disengage the brake with the pull rod on the rear of the mower. All belts seem fine but I could wrong. The shifter appears to work and moves whatever it is connected to on the transaxle. I took the hub off the rear wheel and the axle is not turning, so does not appear to be a disconnect between the axle and the wheels.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
How old is it? Rough idea of hours? Has the belt ever been serviced or replaced? It sure sounds like a belt from here. Take a good look at the pulleys and tensioners to make sure everything is right and tight, but otherwise I'd lean toward the belt.

·
Usually Confused
6,661 Posts
Looking at the manuals it appears it can be one of a couple of models but all are gear transmission and have a combined clutch/brake pedal. I'm guessing the clutch part is simply the drive belt tensioner and I tend to agree that it is either the drive belt or it has jumped off one of the pulleys. If the belt looks intact and routed properly, will it move in any gear?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Might want to check for the key that sits in the groove of the axle and groove of the wheel. To look if it’s in there or shears off simply take the wheel off and look for it. Careful not to lose it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turns out the drive belt slipped off one of the pulleys in the front. Very obvious in hindsight but this is my first mower, so I didn't know where to look. It's possible my brake/clutch goes too far, let's up too much slack and let it slip off. Something to keep an eye on. Thanks for the input everyone.

·
Usually Confused
6,661 Posts
Turns out the drive belt slipped off one of the pulleys in the front. Very obvious in hindsight but this is my first mower, so I didn't know where to look. It's possible my brake/clutch goes too far, let's up too much slack and let it slip off. Something to keep an eye on. Thanks for the input everyone.
Glad you got it fixed. Many machines have an adjustment for those linkages. Check the manual or poke around to see if you can see anything. Your belt could also be really stretched out. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts