DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Also strange that searches for the model mostly find manuals for non-self propelled mowers with B&S power. I surrender.

You might try the forum I have been using at Jacks small engines. There are a couple of dealers and mechanics on there who seem pretty knowledgeable.

http://forums.jackssmallengines.com/

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
@lenaitch Mine looks similar, but cowling is red. And the description identifies the engine as B&S but mine has a Honda engine. Byt the model number is there same. I'm wondering if the sticker on mine is wrong and I wonder if there is a stamped number somewhere on the mower.

·
Usually Confused
6,532 Posts
@lenaitch Mine looks similar, but cowling is red. And the description identifies the engine as B&S but mine has a Honda engine. Byt the model number is there same. I'm wondering if the sticker on mine is wrong and I wonder if there is a stamped number somewhere on the mower.

That I can't answer. Engine-swapping within models isn't all that unheard of. My old snowblower has maintenance info, parts etc. for the chassis but says contact the engine mfg. for engine info. Go figure.

It struck me that the chassis in the photo doesn't even look like it accommodates and drive system, but having said that I have never owned one, only worked on a couple for family and haven't spent a lot of time staring at them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
In any event, the problem is resolved. It seems the problem was not a worn belt. In the process of trying different sized belts, I lubricated the tensioner cable and cleaned the cobwebs and dust that collected in the tension control mechanism. After trying several belts, either too short or too long, I reinstalled the old cable and it now works. Lesson learned: If after some years the belt no longer tightens enough, don't jump to the conclusion that there's a problem with the belt. Someone else said, belts don't usually stretch after initial break in. This seems logical. Unless the belt is seriously worn, I believe the problem is more likely in the cable and tensioner mechanism. Thank you all for following and contributing.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts