DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
I bought this new home like 5 years ago . Now there are cracks or spacing started happening on ceiling , outside boundary walls near ground level. I asked someone they said it is settling happens for new homes after sometimes. Need some help how can I fix this? Please helpe.

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
First, post a complete description of your house. Size, type of construction, how many stories, type of foundation, do you have a basement, where are you located, type of soil the house is built on. If you do not know some of these items, ask the builder, if they are still around. Post picture of house.

Next, post pictures of the cracks. I find the best way to show cracks on wallboard is to turn off the flash on the camera, the flash tends to wash out the crack, making it impossible to see. Measure the width and length of the cracks. A good way to measure a crack is with a credit card. Hairline cracks are smaller than credit card, if the crack is wider than a credit card that would be a large crack.

Internet diagnosis of the cause of cracking is always difficult, and is totally impossible without detailed, quality information.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts