DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my other post I showed some crack arounds windows/doors on my main floor that everybody said are just cosmetic (still waiting for an engineer to come) and fixable. In that post I mentioned there are cracks in the basement, but I didn't have pictures to share. Well here they are, and to me they look just like a terrible job was done when whoever finished the basement in the '90s did it. From what I can tell, it's all on taped edges, but the one stairstep is concerning. Additionally, the gap along the stairs and the wall is horrid, when we bought the house in the Fall of 2020, they clearly caulked the heck out of that gap as it was non-existent and then after our 2nd Winter, it's ripped wide open.

Any of these of concern to anybody?

Cheers!

Image 1: Section where the bulkheads meet basement walkout to backyard; cracks where they all meet

Building Door Wood Interior design Grey

Image 2: Closer view of Image 1

Rectangle Grey Wood Shade Composite material

Image 3: Another closer view of Image 1 and 2, showing the worst crack in basement, the "stairstep"
Rectangle Grey Shade Wood Tints and shades

Image 4: Another part of the basement, but a crack on the end corner of a bulkhead, "stairstep"-ish

Brown Rectangle Grey Wood Shade

Image 5: Same area of basement, further down the same bulkhead, appears to be a tape crack

Wood Shade Grey Beige Rectangle

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It all looks like drops, it could be bad drywalling or questionable framing or some of both.
Drops? I will say that many parts of the ceiling I can visibly push up, as if not fully secured. There were a lot of new nail pops when we had the floors above repaired/installed (hardwood 2-3/4" t/g planks) and that caused the pops in the basement, but more have been appearing.

·
retired framer
59,756 Posts
Drops? I will say that many parts of the ceiling I can visibly push up, as if not fully secured. There were a lot of new nail pops when we had the floors above repaired/installed (hardwood 2-3/4" t/g planks) and that caused the pops in the basement, but more have been appearing.
You would have to remove some drywall to see how they are framed. Some people don't put a lot of thought into building them .

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
This looks like metal corner bead that got bumped at some time and came loose from the sheetrock, and they tried to caulk and paint over it. Should have cleaned it up and rebedded with fresh joint compound.

Brown Rectangle Wood Grey Shade

1 - 14 of 14 Posts