DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

cracked tiles

2K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  klmeenan 
#1 · (Edited)
We purchased out house in 2002. Within the first year one tile on the platform around our tub cracked. They repaired with since it hadnt been over a year. It has happened again. I have chipped out the tile and I can see that the tile is over where 2 pieces of wood (not sure what kind) almost meet. The wood that the tile on the front of the platform is on also doesnt quite meet.

I think the tile cracked due to movement of the wood. How can I fix this without tearing everything up?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That's a 'builders special' tile job. No backer--no isolation membrane---nothing.

Sorry there is no way to fix that right.

Jeez I hate to be the first to tell you that. Reset the tile with flex set thin set after you add a few screws to hold the wood---pray---sorry,Mike--

#3 ·
I figured we were screwed when I took the tile off. I am also re-grouting as well. I need to make do for 2 years then I can yank it out and do it right.

I talked with someone who told me that the tilers do track jobs and don't care. So I'm totally not surprised.

#5 ·
I just retiled one like that---pounding with my fist knocked most of it loose--a painters tool got the rest.

Some builders should be hanged.(hung) oh,than goodness for spell check.

Believe it or not clear silicone caulk is a fine adhesive and will offer a flexible buffer to that wood--

If Bud sees this he will have an opinion--This is a situation where flexible is good,--Mike---

#6 ·
I respect both of your opinions. Bud will be right as he will tell me to redo it the right way. I will do it the right way in 2 years. I am in the middle of fixing the drainage issue which has my backyard as a swamp for most of the spring.

I really don't want to put anything on my charge card if I don't have to. If this was my shower i would be tearing it out already. This is the bathtub which is barely used.

I think the silicone idea is genius! I'm going to do that. What do you think about doing silicone as grout around that one tile? Thanks!!

#7 ·
It would work if you used white---a secret to neat silicone work----

Silicone will stick to any dry surface---it will not stick to a wet soapy surface---

apply your silicone --making sure that there are no voids---then spray the surface with 409 or Greased Lightning----wipe the excess silicone with your finger ---any extra will not smear onto the face of the tile.---Mike---

#8 ·
Is there any support under that seam in the plywood? Doesn't appear to be looking from here. I think I would first use some PL adhesive in an effort to join the two plywoods together, then I would agree a good "stop-gap" temporary repair would be to use 100% silicone as suggested.

But...no more than two years then you have to take it all out and do it the right way - the clock is ticking.:) Promise?:)

By the way...that is also the wrong mesh tape that was used tere.:)

#9 ·
I promise! Redoing all the tile in the bathroom is going to be a huge job since it's all over the place. We have to get rid of the water in our backyard. I'm tired of walking through muck when we have to mow. Now that 3/4 of our trees are gone due to snow the last 2 years it's time to deal with the drainage that the builders refused to deal with back in 2002.

I am already making my husband look at tile knowing it's going to take a year to work out a compromise on what we will install.

Thanks for all the wonderful advice. You and Mike are the best!

#11 ·
Pl adhesive?
"PL" adhesive is a premiere construction adhesive, basically the same as Liquid Nails but in my opinion a better product. The label will say PL-200, or PL-400 or something like that. Try to force some in the crack between the two plywood's then smear some on top of the plywood bridging the crack. After that dries...tile it using 100% silicone.:)

#14 ·
Bud & Mike - thank you so much for helping! My husband and I are currently debating on what tile we will use to replace everything. We have yo discuss it now as it will take us forever to agree on something.

While fixing the tile, I have decided to completely regrout the entire bathroom (and eventually the other bathrooms too). We have a lot of spaces where the grout seems to have just disappeared. Other areas where the grout feels smooth (unsanded and still white) and others that feel rough (sanded and off white) and easily stain.

I spoke with a neighbor who is having a similar issue. She called someone to get an estimate to fix her grout. She was told that the tile guys grouted and then someone else did a second coat but used thinset instead of grout.

Could this be what is causing the gaps and discoloration of the grout lines? This might explain why some of the grout comes out white, Powderly and easily while other areas is grainy, kinda funky colored and takes longer to get it out.

Thanks for all of your help! As much as I would love to retile this now, our house funds were well spent on our drainage issues. Last 4 storms our back and side yards didn't turn into swamps!

#17 ·
Yuck---Those are some small grout lines---lots if work. What have you found to be the best tool?

I recently bought a Harbor Freight multi-tool----fastest thing for grout removal----I have a diamond blade for hard grout---but I found that a standard round blade works quickly on softer grout.

Worth checking out----their blades are about 1/2 the price of the fancy brands and several blades came with the unit I purchased.

This can make an ugly job a bit more tolerable.---Mike---

#18 ·
My in-laws bought my husband a Rockwell soni-crafter for Christmas which came with several blades. I had to go buy a thiner blade to remove the grout.

I have found that our local lowes sells the blades but not the size I needed so I got an adaptor piece to be able to use dremel blades since they have a 1/16 one diamond one. Where the tile is even smaller I am using the blades that are meant for cutting wood.

I have to admit I love it. Where the grout isn't patchy looking, it cuts through like butter. I have trimmed some vinyl flooring at my moms and also cut some door trim higher so I could slide the flooring under it. It was also handy when I needed to cut a piece of 2x4 wood. My brother has borrowed our mitre saw and I hate handsaws. It took a lot longer than using my mitre but it was faster than the handsaws.

The photo shows 75% of the tile I am regrouting. The rest is the "throne" room and the shower. I can't get it in one picture. I can't imagine doing all this by hand.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.