DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Retired Moderator
25,780 Posts
That's a 'builders special' tile job. No backer--no isolation membrane---nothing.

Sorry there is no way to fix that right.

Jeez I hate to be the first to tell you that. Reset the tile with flex set thin set after you add a few screws to hold the wood---pray---sorry,Mike--

· Retired Moderator
25,780 Posts
I just retiled one like that---pounding with my fist knocked most of it loose--a painters tool got the rest.

Some builders should be hanged.(hung) oh,than goodness for spell check.

Believe it or not clear silicone caulk is a fine adhesive and will offer a flexible buffer to that wood--

If Bud sees this he will have an opinion--This is a situation where flexible is good,--Mike---

· Retired Moderator
25,780 Posts
It would work if you used white---a secret to neat silicone work----

Silicone will stick to any dry surface---it will not stick to a wet soapy surface---

apply your silicone --making sure that there are no voids---then spray the surface with 409 or Greased Lightning----wipe the excess silicone with your finger ---any extra will not smear onto the face of the tile.---Mike---

· Retired Moderator
25,780 Posts
Yuck---Those are some small grout lines---lots if work. What have you found to be the best tool?

I recently bought a Harbor Freight multi-tool----fastest thing for grout removal----I have a diamond blade for hard grout---but I found that a standard round blade works quickly on softer grout.

Worth checking out----their blades are about 1/2 the price of the fancy brands and several blades came with the unit I purchased.

This can make an ugly job a bit more tolerable.---Mike---

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.