DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. My front porch has posts that are made of four 1x6 cedar boards fastened so that the center of the post is hollow. I noticed some rot at the bottom of one of the boards, so went about replacing. I then noticed the post next to the one I replaced the board for has more substantial rot at the bottom of several boards, so I removed the bottom of that post altogether.

There is a crack in the cement running between the base of these posts, and after removing the boards at the bottom of the second post, I was able to remove a loose piece of concrete. I noticed what appears to be a hollow channel running between the bricks laid underneath and the concrete on top, and this is directly below where the crack is. I've attached some photos because I'm sure my description is somewhat lacking.

I'm not sure of the best way to go about fixing these cracks. There are other smaller cracks near the other posts on my porch that aren't that bad that I'd like to fix too. Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
That's not a crack in the concrete; that's a joint. IOW, it was made that way, so the concrete probably isn't a concern. It looks like the posts bear (are supported by) the the bricks anyway, with concrete around them (not surprising that the wood rotted with it like that).

My recommendation would be to make a concrete or brick pedestal that gets the wood at least slightly above the concrete, so that the wood doesn't stay wet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a bottle jack and a 2x4 strongback propped up against the underside of the roof. The bottom of the post had a quite a bit of rot and didn't look like it was providing much support before I cut off the bottom.

I like that idea of a pedestal, will look into that some more. Thanks for the recommendation.

I don't know much about concrete, but from what I read joints are meant to allow for controlled expansion/contraction and also so when concrete cracks, it's a straight line where the joint is, instead of all over the place. Is that right? For the cracks I have right now over the joints, would you recommend a specific mix like mortar or caulk?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts