DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a short (4 feet by 10feet) and cracked concrete walkway from my basement door to my backyard. Also, it is uneven in some places. No matter how much I clean it, it gets dirty and weeds and grasses starts growing in its crack. It makes the yard look terrible. I don't have a lot of money to spend on it to get a professional help or even doing it myself. So, what I am looking for is something that I can lay on top of it to cover it up much like a rug but meant for outside. Do they sell anything like that in the market? Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. thank you.

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,534 Posts
Going to need to get weed killer down in the cracks. Just placing a rug over it is not going deter the weeds.

If the cracks are small they could be filled with concrete crack filler from a caulk tube.
About as easy as it gets for a DIY project.

·
Guapo
5,940 Posts
LOL @ astro turf. Widen the cracks, remove all loose pieces, attach some wire lath & skim coat it. Stadry has a way to do it w/o the lath. I don't remember it. Use a bonding agent.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
then i submit the problem only exists when the aforementioned mask is removed on 1 condition - that being 1 must 1st purchase a quality mask :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:smile::biggrin2::vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh:
You guys are SILLY... lol... Well, this is not just about the weed... I also want to make the pathway look little bit nicer or fancy looking. I want to kill the weeds and clean up the pathway. Then, lay something on it like a rugged outdoor rug. I want to do it if possible at 50 bucks or less. :smile:

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
some weed killer + tube of sika concrete sealant or outdoor carpet should meet your budget,,, if weeds grow back, spray 'em again,,, best !

·
Guapo
5,940 Posts
If you had said 50 bucks in your original post, I wouldn't have answered. BTW, my suggestion didn't include weed killer.

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
OK, how about for $49.99 including tax, by building walks like I do with Quickcrete, a wheel barrow, shovel and compact the dirt with my shop made compactor.

Rather than 4" thick as I earlier calculated for bout 60 bucks, use 2x4 forms and crown the center to 2-1/2" thick with well compacted soil that's free of organic material. No re-bar or reinforcement of any kind and a fork lift fully loaded with asphalt shingle bundles doesn't crack it. When finished it will look so nice and you'll be so proud you won't want to cover it.:biggrin2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts