1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all!

I've got a crack in the front right corner of my front porch slab ---

I've uploaded some photos of it.

Above the crack is a wood post which is one of four that supports a balcony...
Just wondering what to do about it/ how to get it fixed?

Also, I notice that if I give it a swift kick or hit, that the piece will move slightly -- but other than that, doesn't seem overly loose.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should I patch the crack for the time being? or should I get that broken piece out of there, and pour new concrete in?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the lower step is definitely cracked as well... im just concerned because of the post thats above the crack -- wouldn't want my balcony to come down..

·
Registered
915 Posts
Take a pointed nose shovel and do some investigating. :wink2:

If the patio concrete is merely a slab-on-grade with no foundation, then, if done correctly, there should be a concrete pier under the slab at each balcony post.

I am betting they did nothing but pour a slab with no sub-grade support.

The guy who built our previous home (a new build) did a half assed job and didn't pour under slab supports. Every home that contractor built had cracked patio slabs. I pulled the drawings from the county and we made him remove the cracked slabs, add the supports and re-pour the patio.

Attachments

·
Registered
915 Posts
doesn't seem like there is any pier under that corner..
Then, thinking long term, the best approach is to add them. Trying to re-attach the loose concrete does nothing to help support the balcony.

Depending on how old the home is, and how good the zoning is where you live, you may be able to pull the construction drawings and see what was originally specified.

How big is that balcony? Could you post up a photo showing the patio and the balcony?

How big a deal this is really is based on how big the balcony is and how it was designed to be supported. Some are cantilevered off the home and the home is designed to carry some, if not all the weight. Some are designed to have half the weight carried by the posts.

·
retired framer
48,864 Posts
Any cause of concern with a balcony of that size?
How may years has this been there with no other effect.

The stairs were placed on un compacted soil becaue of the slope, and they added rebar to make the bridge when the stairs settle but the rebar is to low and it did not stop the stairs from settling. Have the stairs foam lifted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Honestly its been like that for years -- i just don't want my balcony to come down any time soon lol, but even with the crack it seems strong -- just don't want it getting worse

·
retired framer
48,864 Posts
Honestly its been like that for years -- i just don't want my balcony to come down any time soon lol, but even with the crack it seems strong -- just don't want it getting worse
Dirt stops compacting at some point and the concrete will stop moving.

If it has not changed for years I would not be concerned. But I would look at it from time to time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i'll definitely keep an eye on it... there's a hairline crack developing to the left of the post - you can see it in the first photo i posted -- i don't want this getting any worse though

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Should I attempt to seal that crack in the meantime to keep any water/ frost from getting in come winter time?

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Dirt stops compacting at some point and the concrete will stop moving.

If it has not changed for years I would not be concerned. But I would look at it from time to time.
It does stop compacting, but depending on the drainage situation it may never stop eroding!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Should I just continue to monitor the crack to see if it gets worse, or should I find a solution to get it fixed now?

·
retired framer
48,864 Posts
You have likely lost the slop of the stairs and water is going in the crack between the step and the deck. there are caulks for concrete, stopping the water may stop it from getting worse.

If we did your house the post for the porch would have a footing and pier for the post and the deck would be poured around the pier, so right now I don't think that is a problem. I would watch this for a year before fixing. If it is still moving you will want to have it lifted.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Any cause of concern with a balcony of that size?
Since the balcony attaches to the house on two sides, that's a good thing.

If I were you I would...

• add some long extensions to the gutter downspouts to keep water away from the front porch at ground level.. see photo.
  • keep an eye on the balcony where it meets the home. If the balcony edge is dropping then a crack will open up where the balcony meets the house.
  • use a long carpenters level on the balcony floor and take a digital photo of the bubble location. Then every couple months I'd do it again. Compare the photo's.... that will give you confidence that things aren't moving... or that they indeed are.

I wouldn't consider mud jacking or foam jacking the patio or the steps.

And by the way.. you've got a beautiful place there. :smile:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts