DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your thought. Here at the moment the situation seems to be improving especially for ICU admissions. Doctors no longer have to choose who to save. Now I am worried about your situation as the Italian health system is public and open to all and treatment is available to all while the US health system is largely private. I wish you all the best.

·
Banned
30,022 Posts
We are a mixture of private and public. A bit of a hybrid.

Its not well known by most around the world and even in this country, but you can go to the hospital at ANY time you want with ZERO expectation of payment (i.e. via insurance or personal monies) and the hospital CANNOT refuse you treatment.

Rest assured, our folks are getting the treatment they need when they need it. This is a new bug to be certain, but we will overcome it.

Glad to hear that you guys are getting to the backside of this infection.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Nice idea. I've set up a "quarantine" counter in a back room. I bring groceries or whatever there for decontamination before putting them away. Things that can wait a while go into a plastic bin in the basement.

With a few exceptions like New York City, the US largely avoided the overcrowded ICU's which we were all worried about. We were late with the response, but hit the "stay at home" thing pretty hard and managed to flatten the curve. Unfortunately, that time we bought for developing a nationwide testing and tracing plan was squandered. We're all learning, and some of us learn a little slower than others.

And, for the record, not ALL hospitals in the US will take any patient. It's complicated. Again, we're behind the rest of the world in health care, and we know it, but if anyone suggests a solution it instantly becomes a political hot potato that 41% of the people (the opposing party of whoever suggested it) will vehemently fight against. There's no appetite for any compromise.

·
Banned
30,022 Posts
Nice idea. I've set up a "quarantine" counter in a back room. I bring groceries or whatever there for decontamination before putting them away. Things that can wait a while go into a plastic bin in the basement.

With a few exceptions like New York City, the US largely avoided the overcrowded ICU's which we were all worried about. We were late with the response, but hit the "stay at home" thing pretty hard and managed to flatten the curve. Unfortunately, that time we bought for developing a nationwide testing and tracing plan was squandered. We're all learning, and some of us learn a little slower than others.

And, for the record, not ALL hospitals in the US will take any patient. It's complicated. Again, we're behind the rest of the world in health care, and we know it, but if anyone suggests a solution it instantly becomes a political hot potato that 41% of the people (the opposing party of whoever suggested it) will vehemently fight against. There's no appetite for any compromise.

There is definitely some information here to noodle on, but it should probably be reserved for the CBR. The US leads in innovation in this crisis and the vast majority of disease treatment. We also weren't "behind" as we were relying on data supplied (or not) by supposed partner nations. Our response had to be developed from the ground up and sadly, those same nations that were actively lying to us, are responsible for about 98% of the supply chain on testing chemicals and equipment. We shan't make that mistake again.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
meh none of my groceries go thruogh decontamination, they go straight to my pantry... I figure by the time I come back and rummage thruogh the virus will be dead lol... the virus is every where, so unless you been underground the last 8 months, your exposed.

With that said, my garage organization has come to a stand still as funds were re-appropriated for bills vs 'other stuff'

But now that I am back to work... (against Govt orders)... i may restart that...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Even here in Italy, in these moments instead of rowing everyone in the same direction some politicians for personal interests try to go in the opposite direction from the right one.
And the voters (I would call them fans more correctly) cannot discriminate from reality to fantasy, drinking only from a single source of news without documenting themselves.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry but, when, here in Bergamo when the Italian army took away the bodies of 70 people with trucks in another city because in the municipal cemetery there was no more space POTUS spoke of simple influence and his friend Boris spoke of immunity of flock and some British and Dutch doctors said that we Italians were in lock down because we wanted to rest because we are only Pizza pasta and mandolin (Parasites who craved only European funding). Personally, even if the English language is not perfect, I try to have multiple sources of information, and get my own idea since now the sources of information are almost always oriented towards those who finance them. it is true the percentages of those who die of exclusively covid-19 are very low, we speak of a 2% or 3%, but those of us who do not have another pathology that aggravated by the symptoms of this virus does not lead you to worsen your situation.
For supplies, it has always been convenient for companies to go to produce where the labor cost was minimal and take advantage of the work of people without rights by paying them 2 or 3 € / $ per day to get the maximum takings and now the consequences are paid.
sorry for the outburst

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Even here in Italy, in these moments instead of rowing everyone in the same direction some politicians for personal interests try to go in the opposite direction from the right one.
And the voters (I would call them fans more correctly) cannot discriminate from reality to fantasy, drinking only from a single source of news without documenting themselves.
You are not alone. That's exactly what we have here in the US.

Fans is the perfect word. They root for their "team" no matter what.

There is no such thing as reality to them. Anything which makes their team sound good is true. Any time a member of their team gets caught lying or breaking the law, it's fake.

It's easy to find "news" sources which only reinforce your existing opinions. That way you don't have to think for yourself or question your beliefs.

What I find most amazing is when a politician, and the pundits at "their" media outlets, say the opposite thing from what they said the day before. Everyone on that "team" gets collective amnesia and today's "truth" replaces yesterday's "truth."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.