DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have old electric baseboard heater that I no longer use. The control panel on the wall is very old and unsightly. I'd like to cover it up with simple wall plate. When I opened it up, I saw two seperate cables in the box. Each had a black, white and ground. In order to put this all back unconnected to anything safely, how should I connect the wires before shoving them back in the box (for example: should I connect the white to the white and the black to the black?) Is it that simple?
thanks

·
Electrician
818 Posts
Hello,
I have old electric baseboard heater that I no longer use. The control panel on the wall is very old and unsightly. I'd like to cover it up with simple wall plate. When I opened it up, I saw two seperate cables in the box. Each had a black, white and ground. In order to put this all back unconnected to anything safely, how should I connect the wires before shoving them back in the box (for example: should I connect the white to the white and the black to the black?) Is it that simple?
thanks
You should cap off the blacks and whites individually. You need to use the ground wire coming from the feed to bond the metal box. If you don't know which one, use both. Make a pigtail out of a short piece of wire, put it under a ground screw attached to the box, then splice it to both the ground wires.

Do you know where the feed for this heat comes from? Is it on a dedicated circuit? If so, as long as you properly abandon the wiring, you can cover this box completely.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks again Proby.
As I've said before, some of the wiring in this house is a little odd, but I finally found the dedicated fuse in a sub breaker box. I capped the wires as you said and I hope I wont find anything else that this fuse controlled if so, I guess I'll have to switch it back on. But I think the wires should be safe the way they are capped. I no longer use the heaters, but I dont want to remove them since they still work and you never know what the future holds.
thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts