DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All- I plan to put a covering over my deck and it will look amost exactly like the cover in this picture.

I will have treated 6x6 holding up a non-treated 3 1/2 by 11 7/8 lam beam which will span about 16'. Will notch the posts to hold the beam.

A few questions on how best to frame this based on the numbers I put on the picture:

1- This span will be around 21'. How best would I connect this from the house to the post? I was thinking of just getting a 22' or 24' (should i get treated?) 2x4 and attaching it to the house and to the post. How would I best do that? Would I lay it flat to it would accept studs going up the wall to secure the sheathing or lay it vertical (so the 1.5" side of the 2x4 is facing the ground)? Really not sure on this one and definitely not sure how to secure to house or post.

Also - what would go under this 2x to cover it? Would it need to be wrapped in aluminum?

2- I have an existing outside corner vinyl piece and not sure how to cut into this to accept the framing. Should I cut out the corner peice so I can place a 2x4 flat against the vertical existing house wall so I can build my wall (the triangle part)

Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
retired framer
38,809 Posts
You just build a wall with the studs notched to go up inside the rafter, then sheet both sides with OSB or plywood including the rafter. and nail it off like a stress wall. The sheeting makes it like a truss Then you will need another something like a rafter inside to nail the ceiling to.

You can wrap the bottom, just make sure the wrap is inside the house wrap.
Inside the corner of the house will be a stud either on the flat side or the 1 1/2" edge over to the right.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts